• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highest FSB on a NF7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get an Infinty or a NF7.
I'm not scared of modding the mobo so mods are on.

I'd like to see you NF7s' high speed fsbs.

Suma.

223 - Prime stable on priority 10.
^^ Using Mushkin's Level 1 Black

Record - 252
Using Kingston's PC4000 (Hynix)
unconfirmed stability, but it was enough do stuff. Unfortunatly I forgot ro run benchies :mad:

The NF7 is definitely a great overclocking mobo.
Got it to 250fsb with single channel memory using D10 bios that had max FSB option at 250FSB.

The new tic tac bios has options for FSB speeds over 270FSB. Can't go over 250fsb while running dual channel mode RAM. Might have to remove the other 2 sticks and see how high I can get my fsb now.

G/L.:)

You guys make me fell "unnecessary," but here goes.

Got a refurb NF7 from newegg and mounted unlocked 2500 Barton, eased FSB up to 195 and see 2.15GHz using wcpuid. Left multiplier default 11 and increased vCore to 1.675 but didn't see much difference and unable to go higher FSB and run stable so cut back to default 1.65V and let it be. 512MB Samsung PC2700. On air using AMD fan to cut back noise and 40C idle 45-47C loaded with Arctic Silver. http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html

Have two sticks 256MB Crucial PC2100 and when I tried both it automatically showed "dual channel enabled" at post. Again, noticed no difference between running one Samsung stick or both Crucials and ran stable using either-or. However, put all three in at one time and immediately locked up after posting to Windwoes. Not disappointed because none of my other boards accept all three at one time either.

Flashed the BIOS using ABIT utility through Windwoes and piece of cake. Not the fastest rig going but stable as a rock, my first ABIT and very impressed since first boot not the first problem of any kind.

Also have an old tried and true Soltek 75MRN-L & 2100 T'bred B core downgrade 2700 2.15 GHz stable as can be. Had it about ten months now and never a hint of a problem, so Soltek gets two thumbs up as well as ABIT.

HeHeHeHe . . . . I paid $43. for the ABIT and already had $100. worth of fun with it. ;) OldBird

huneycutt said:
You guys make me fell "unnecessary," but here goes.

Got a refurb NF7 from newegg and mounted unlocked 2500 Barton, eased FSB up to 195 and see 2.15GHz using wcpuid. Left multiplier default 11 and increased vCore to 1.675 but didn't see much difference and unable to go higher FSB and run stable so cut back to default 1.65V and let it be. 512MB Samsung PC2700. On air using AMD fan to cut back noise and 40C idle 45-47C loaded with Arctic Silver. http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html

Have two sticks 256MB Crucial PC2100 and when I tried both it automatically showed "dual channel enabled" at post. Again, noticed no difference between running one Samsung stick or both Crucials and ran stable using either-or. However, put all three in at one time and immediately locked up after posting to Windwoes. Not disappointed because none of my other boards accept all three at one time either.

Flashed the BIOS using ABIT utility through Windwoes and piece of cake. Not the fastest rig going but stable as a rock, my first ABIT and very impressed since first boot not the first problem of any kind.

Also have an old tried and true Soltek 75MRN-L & 2100 T'bred B core downgrade 2700 2.15 GHz stable as can be. Had it about ten months now and never a hint of a problem, so Soltek gets two thumbs up as well as ABIT.

HeHeHeHe . . . . I paid $43. for the ABIT and already had $100. worth of fun with it. ;) OldBird

Why dont u try setting the cpu to 1.75v? Works for me at 200fsb?
Also The volcano 10+ is an awsome lil copper cooler i found with a 4800rpm 60mm fan,virtually silent that is a Huge improvement over the stock amd 2500 cooler which is fine in itself.

I have a SLK900A with 90MM on my other rig but 2.15GHz is fast enough for me 'cause I'm a senior citizen old f*** just playin' with my toys like the rest of you guys and diggin' it big time.

I bought this 2500 back before AMD started locking the multiplier and sooner or later I reckon I'll go messing with the multiplier and who knows, heck, I might totally lose my old mind and go nitrogen cooler! :D YEEHAW!

"Head for the round house Gramdmaw 'cause Grandpaw can't corner you there . . . !" HeHeHeHe . . . . OldBird

System is in my sig. Running dual channel and cpu interface enabled I can run stable @235fsb. Thats with no volt mods and running the memory at 1:1 . I havent tried to run it single channel or with cpu interface disabled since I want all the performance I can get. Been meaning to try it and see how far it can go, but havent had time yet. Im pretty sure my memory is maxing me out at 235fsb.

Right now I'd steer clear of the Ultra if I was you. Their bios sucks and i can't seem to get mine stable for anything. After a week of trying I'm about to chuck it in with the kitty litter and get another NF7. By the way, I'm posting this on my abit machine 220fsb x 11.5 using Mushkin 3200 "222". At least it's stable. What good is high FSB if your machine cold boots?????:eek:

My best abit board would do about 238 100% stable with my barton 2500 but with the vddim @ 3.2+ to get there as for the infinity I had issues also after about 16 hour's of reinstalling and getting everthing right the board decided not to post when I when from a failed 242 prime test after 38 min's and went down to 235 and after that no post again.

Dr. Strangelove;

"At least it's stable. What good is high FSB if your machine cold boots?????"
You said it all there Dr. because I can ease my FSB up and it'll boot into Windwoes but after running a minute or two it locks up, so a locked up system NFG to me or anyone else. Yup, system stability is what's all about.

I tried XP and went back to ME. Say, what? Been using it many years and never been a hassel to me. I use Norton Utilities 2K to keep it tuned-up and the blue-screen-screams few and far between, maybe see one or two a week if that. I know FAT32 is no contest for NTFS where stability is concerned, but *for what I use a computer for* ME works fine and if my rig doesn't lock up I figure it's pretty well tuned up.

This 2500 mulitplier unlocked so might play with it when I feel like it but at 21.5GHz it runs cool and fast enough for me so I let well enough alone.

Dirty_Punk,
What's the VDDR stabilization mod?
Can you show us a guide? or atleast a pic?

Thanks,
Suma.

Suma said:
Dirty_Punk,
What's the VDDR stabilization mod?
Can you show us a guide? or atleast a pic?

Thanks,
Suma.

vmod1.JPG

simply, connect +3.3v directly to DDR Slot 1! ;)
use only the lower point in the image, the other 2 isn't needed

you can identify the pint to solder the wire with mobo OFF and PSU OFF but connected to electricity (sorry for my english)
in that case you can misure with the tester the voltage on the pin (it's the first of the "second part" of the dimm slot) and it misure about 2.85v, it's the only pin in the middle of DDR slot 1 that have that voltage

have yet no problem with this mod with +3.3v line up to 3.6v for about 8h of tests

after that VDDR is perfetcly stable at +3.3v rail voltage

with +3.3v at 3.3v for example
with normal VDDR mod
--------full load------idle
VDDR--min 3.12v--------3.28v

with VDDR Stabilization mod
--------full load------idle
VDDR--min 3.28v--------3.28v

readed with tester

thanx to this mod i gained about 10-12mhz of FSB with my V-Data PC3200

Now thats the kind of V-Dimm mod Im talking about.

Where did you find that? Or did you figure it out yourself?

I assume that its always the same as the 3.3v rail. Correct me if I am wrong.

i'm probably the first that have done this mod on NF7 (or the first that say to have done it), so no review or documentation out of my tests...
have posted in an italian forum and some people have tryed it with no problem and with a min of 5mhz gain (probably memory or mobo limited) in fsb up to 20-25mhz gain (this last one haven't done the standard vddr mod so the great fsb gain is made from the jump form 3.0 to 3.3v of his VDDR)

howether with my mobo and fast timings in dual i can't pass 255mhz, now with this mod up to ~264 (unstable in both cases)

PS: again sorry for my englis :D :p

Back