• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobiles and FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disco_bazoon

Righto, got my Mobile barton 2400+ 35w (FJQ4C) yesterday, and it's doing very well. "Fairly"Prime stable @ 2700MHz on air at the moment (Only had prime running for about 2 hours yet).
Anyway, the problem is, I can't reach high FSB's with it, as I could do with my old Barton. This one tops out @ 214MHz, while the old one would do atleast 235MHz.
So I'm wondering, would a L12 mod help any? Have anyone tried that with success here? I'm kinda pludering on how to do it on this chip, as the bridges are insanely small, smaller than on my old barton. Well, atleast it looks like it. The entire chip looks different, on this chip you can actually see the thin gold threads, like the layer of green "stuff" is thinner :p Uh, I dunno, are they really that different? :eek:

I can't get my M2600+ past 205 (actually that's what I'm testing now, maybe not even 205FSB!!). So I was kinda dissapointed. Then again I have an ASUS A7N8X, so maybe that's why. I heard those boards don't like >200 FSB.

disco_bazoon, confirm that you're talking about exactly the same setup, everything... on which one chip does one FSB and the other would not even with a lower multiplier...

dont worry.. many users are stuck within the 220 range (me included) for the mobiles (in DC). the dfi users are seeing 240 range though.

the L12 mod has not helped as many as it has with the tbreds, but you can try it, cant hurt.

c627627 said:
disco_bazoon, confirm that you're talking about exactly the same setup, everything... on which one chip does one FSB and the other would not even with a lower multiplier...
What kinda chips did you try? A "standard" barton and a Mobile?

Hmm, this is kinda annoying. Most people seem to reach 220ish, but mine tops out at only 214-215 :(
It won't even boot @ 220! Hmmm, what could it possibly be?

Edit: Which bios are you guys using? I'm using the tictac modded one right now..

im using d22 3dfire, memory in DC.

SC didnt help my fsb OC by much either, but i took a severe bandwith hit, by ~125-150mb/s.

DC:
12.5x, highest i can get is 216
12x, highest i can get is 219
11.5x, doesnt work well
11x, i can get about 221 or so.

disco_bazoon:

How high can you push your 2400+ 35w - = FJQ4C = - CPU? what is your max frequency and FSB ?

Do you find the FJQ4C (=1,35 v-core at 2 GHz) stepping a superior OC chip contra the FJQ4C (=1,45 vcore at 2 GHz)?

Cheers!

sorry ogboot! I am refering to "steppings" (I think..) or "Ordering Part Number (OPN) ":

See this!

From that you can break down the Ordering Part Number (OPN) of the CPU - for examlpe the AMD mobile 2400+ exists in two versions:

the fourth last letter is the Operating voltage, thus:

1) AXMH2400FQQ4C
= 1,45 v-core, 45 watt version

2) AXMD2400FJQ4C
= 1,35 v-core, 35 watt version

The links are for a danish price index.
Did this help?

CHF

I've got an Epox 8RDA3+ and can 't get past 217FSB with this mobile. DFI boards (lan party ultra-b) seems to be the board to get High FSB with these chips, but DFI has had questionable reliability and QC on there boards... I'd check the forums on DFI mobos before investing.

Thank you Reddawg41 for the info...

Have you considered doing a L12 mod? see this!
There seems to be great difference in the outcome of the L12 mod, but disco_bazoon found it worth it (+20 OC on the fsb...)

But fsb is one thing - the mobiles are unlocked so how high can you push it?

Cheers!

CHF

Last edited:
I love my mobile, so far I've hit 255 but it was with CPC off and that's not worth the performance hit. Gotta love the DFI and Mushkin combo. I prefer to run 240 with CPC on as I get higher benches and its more stable - I may try to go back to 10x250 but I'd rather not give my Bh-5 3.3volts though I know it can handle it easy.

I had the L12 mod done with this same board (8RDA3+) with my xp1800 (1.5v default)... I was able to hit 230FSB (TwinMos PC3700 @2.5-4-4-9 timings. cpu was cooked and was hitting 2.545GHz with that FSB. Swapped out the cpu, leaving the L12mod in, and nothing over 210 was possible. Took out the L12 mod, and 217 is the most I can get @12.5multi. I re-started out my adventure by clocking down the multi to 9 @ 230FSB and still nothing. So on and so forth untill i got to about 220 @ 9multi, but even that wasn't stable enough. alot of memory dumps. So I swapped out my Twimos for 2 sticks of Corsair PC3200 Extreme LL 256mb (512mb total). Which I know for a fact can run up to 235FSB @ 2.5-3-3-7 timings. (see sig)... Even with these Corsairs, I'm still not able to pass 217FSB. So I might just be something with these cpu that may have something hardcoded (MHO) in the cpu for it not to pass a certain FSB speedl. Who knows?

disco_bazoon said:
I'm kinda pludering on how to do it on this chip, as the bridges are insanely small, smaller than on my old barton.

You don't have to actually do anything with the bridges on the top of the chip. You can put a wire between 2 holes in the socket. If you want I can find a link showing how to do the 133/166/200 mod and 8 bit mode mods that way. It is realy simple, just put a tiny wire connecting the 2. Takes 10 seconds and there is basically no way to screw it up.

Back