• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is water-cooling really that dangerous?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshh100

Hey all, Ive been thinking about getting a watercooling system for my rig, not really for the extra cooling just more for the looks. Nothing looks cooler than UV reactant dye in a water cooled rig :-D Anyways, a lot of people that Ive talked to have fried their machines using water cooling. My question to you guys is: Is it possible to make sure you water cooling system is 110% properly installed and you arent going to have like a pressure build up and blow a tube and fry my machine. Just to let you know.. I was thinking of getting either an Aquarius II or Aquarius III system for cooling my new graphics card. Just lemme know what you think.. thanks.

Well if your friends are using the Aquarius series watercoolers that is definately their problem, because they aren't very good. They look good, but other than that they are substandard set-ups.

Watercooling, when using the correct equipment, and with the right knowledge, availible here, and know-how, again availible here, is quite safe.

I was very skeptical about using watercooling also. But i'm on this board and another one, been asking my questions and reading up about it, and I feel that I am now ready to take the plunge. :D

hehe ok thanks guys.. so the aquarius II and III are no good? they would fit perfectly with my case though because I have an Xaser III... is there anything else that would fit with this case?

Water-Cooling is second to obesity to the leading cause of death among men in the US. Water-Cooling has the WMD. Water-Cooling causes world-hunger.

BUT! If you plan it right, you can build a water-cooling setup without any fear of damaging your computer. PEACE OF MIND BE UNTO YE! One of my little folding rigs has been water-cooled... completely untouched for about 7 months now.

Never fried any rig with watercooling... ever. Even those I've drowned completely have survived... just apply common sense. If summat leaks, leave it in a warmish place to dry out for a good few days before even thinking about trying to use it again...

There is a thread started by Neomoses in the forum archives. He ran a water cooling loop for WEEKS without his pump running - without any damage. His pump died and he didn't get around to checking on why his temps were a little higher for quite some time.

If you plan your setup right, and hand pick good parts, watercooling is virtually as safe as air cooling.

With your postcount and the level of cooling you want - you could make a nice setup for fairly cheap by shopping our classifieds for used cooling parts. You don't need the highest end stuff to keep your GPU cool enough.

Last edited:
I fried a mb with wc'ing, but still doing it. Anything that is 100% safe is usually not particularly satisfying. ;)

He ran a water cooling loop for WEEKS without his pump running - without any damage.

Odd, if I unplug my pump my cpu temps shoot up rapidly. I think there must have been extenuating factors involved in that setup.

thanks for all the info guys.. Im gonna check it out.. however I dont know if Im ready to "plunge" into it yet.. I love my PC too much

calvin said:
Odd, if I unplug my pump my cpu temps shoot up rapidly. I think there must have been extenuating factors involved in that setup.

His heat exchanger was mounted in the top of his case. Other than that he had somewhat typical parts compared to anyone else.

Of course, he wasn't running F@H or SETI all of this time, but he used the computer for typical stuff regularly.

Here is a link if you want the details yourself:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236390&highlight=dead+pump

Back