• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon64 FX-53

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

9mmCensor

Disabled
It's arrived

At just shy of $900, this chip will leave a serious dent in the wallet of all the Extream overclockers.

Info:
The FX-53 runs at 2.4 GHz with 1 MB L2 cache.
But the question is, what socket? Seems to be a socket 940.

cpuz_small.JPG

Check out
The Inquirer for some benchies.

Last edited:
I don't think it will be going down in price significately... this is AMDs new stratigy... keep the sweet stuff so expensive we cant afford it.

and with the prices of both being far apart right now there is no need to drop the price on the FX51 , if the FX53 was closer the the price of the FX51 then i could see if dropping alil.

im not getting a 64 untill there in the 4000+ to 5000+ Performance rating's. mine right now has a 3400+ PR so no point going to a same PR 64 bit chip

It's the first Socket 939 chip. I think they'll have it in both 940 and 939 but it should be 939 first.

nForce3 boards for 939s should be here next month, I hope they release 3100+ 64 for 939 but they may do so only in May and it may only be the $300 to $400 3500+.

Nobody has any 939s in stock, I think they're all pre-order. newegg tends to get these when AMD actually starts shipping them so I'd look to reliable newegg for any major purchases like that.

c627627 is right, i think i read that it will change to the 940 or the 939 (which ever) after they change to the 90nm units. i think :eek:)

Socket 940 is an old SledgeHammer Opteron.

* 940 pin vs. 939 pin: The extra pin is required for simultaneous SMP/hypertransport multiprocessing
on six layer Opteron motherboards. Socket 940 requires a 6 to 9 layer motherboard. Socket 939 only requires a 4 layer design.
* Socket 939 also allows use of standard DDR memory instead of ECC registered DDR.
* There is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx (multiplier locked) and the 940 pin Athlon 64 FX (multiplier unlocked).

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

ChillPhatCat said:
What's the deal with the extra pin? I assume 940 mobos will be backwards compatable with 939 sockets... but what's the extra pin?

The 940 pin mobos are actually the server mobos for opterons. A 939 pin chip will not work in a 940 pin motherboard. The reason it's like this is because AMD didn't originally want to have a dual channel memory A64 chip, but people cried out and so, without much time left before launch, they took an opteron and rebadged it as an A64 FX. So, at first, the FX's used the same type of motherboards the opterons used, meaning they required registered memory for more stable systems. Now, however, they are moving to a 939 pin setup so that they won't have to used registered memory and the regular A64's are moving to this socket as well, which will give them dual channel memory also. I hope this makes sense, haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately and my brain's not working as well as it should.

The link doesn't say but the FX-53 will be the first Socket 939 chip and it will be announced at the end of this month.

So there'll be a Socket 939 FX-53 chip for sure next month.

The part about about there also being a 940 pin FX-53 chip is speculation which may or may not be true.

More important q for you Gautam is will there be a 3x00+ Socket 939 next month, it doesn't look good but I wouldn't give up, AMD chips have come "out of nowhere" without even rumors before...

There also being a 940 pin FX-53 chip is speculation which may or may not be true.

939 part will be announced at the very end of this month.
940 part may or may not be announced then.

It'll be nice if they're less than $400 at the time of release in May but it doesn't look like they're going to be unless they indeed end up releasing a Socket 939 3100+, which doesn't look like they will now, but in two weeks we'll know for sure.

Back