• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dos dossing about

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rooster098

Registered
hey.
ive been trying to use command prompt recently as ive been setting up a network and wanted to use the commands IPCONFIG and PING. i used them successfully on my other pc but when i try them on mine, this error appears:

'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

any ideas whats going on? have i got a crap version of command prompt or something?

cheers

It is possible that the environment path variable is screwed up. This allows you to run something from the another folder without having to type folder\folder\program.exe. You can just type program.exe and DOS checks the environment path variable and voila finds the file in the right place.

Sorry I can't give more info but dos was a long time ago for me. :cool:

I'm assuming this is Windows XP.

Right click My Computer and click properties.

On the advanced tab click Environment Varibles.

On the bottom click the "path" variable and click edit

make sure %SystemRoot%\system32 is lised on there
if it not already there, put a semicolon (;) if its not already at the end of the line then put %SystemRoot%\system32

that should fix it, if it doesn't just typeC:\WINDOWS\system32\ipconfig.exe whenever you want to run ipconfig

Back