• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping whitewater question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redken

Hi guys!
I got in my Whitewater and decided to lap it as per instructions here , followed the instructions (squiggle all over with felt marker) and lapped until it was gone, but I saw even with all the marker gone it had only really "scratched" (lapped part) the middle part (I put the block on top of the glass and I could see the other side on both corners), I thought that the water had taken off the marker some how, so I kept lapping some more. The "scratch" in the middle became bigger towards the sides. I have lapped for a wile now and the "scratch" is closer to the edges of the block, but not quite there yet.
Should I keep lapping? maybe the copper is a bit concave and wouldn't want to make a whole in the block just to make the bottom completely flat.

I thought this would be more straight-forward somehow.

You aren't using a water based marker are you? I'm pretty sure Sharpie makes them.

Anyway, what method of lapping did you use? There's moving it back-and-forth, sliding it forward and picking up and moving forward again, circling, figure-eights. Did you rotate the block frequently.

D-Tek did have problems last summer with uneven blocks, but I thought that they had fixed that problem.

I will check when I get home from work if it's water based.
I'm doing it back-and-forth and turning 90 degrees every 2 minutes or so.
I want to do this right and this has me a little concerned.

remember the size of the CPU core. thats the only area that REALLY matters. so ill bet you're good to go.

also: the WW is a "thin" based WB you can lapp it too much...

edit: your running a P4...that makes for a bigger "die size"....

Last edited:
When I lapped my WW it seeamed like it took "forever" to get off the four corners and start working the center. But once there it went fast.

Thank's Joe Camel
yes i'm way passed the diameter of the CPU core, now I just hope I didn't over do it.

Back