• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini-ITX, Micro-ATX, etc ... what's a guy to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

Can anyone point me in to some good sites that explain the differences in these boards' setups, the pros and cons for each form factor, and the general usages for such?

I was wanting to build a mini-system to go in my living room, but after looking around for Micro-ATX stuff, I stumbled across Mini-ITX, which looks ridiculously smaller.

Just wanted some good input.

Thanks,
Dave

Mini-ITX is what you find in small toaster computers (like the Shuttle XPC). They generally have less expandability in exchange for their compact size. Most have 1 PCI slot, a few have AGP, but most are cheap low end non upgradable motherboards, with an exception to most mobos found in Shuttles XPC line. Almost all have integrated everything (lan, audio, video, etc..). This is the smallest standard motherboard you can get.

MicroATX is what you would find in slimline or smaller computer systems. They usually have about 3 PCI ports, some have AGP slots. Almost all have integrated everything. This falls between atx and mini-itx as far as size and features. There aren't many new ones out, but asus made the nf1 a7n266vm which was extremely stable and pretty cheap, and just came out with a newer version.

As far as exact specs- I'll let the others explain. But I think it mostly depends on size. Do you really need a ultra tiny mini-itx motherboard? Do you need a midsize microATX motherboard? Or can you stick with a full size atx.

Well, originally I was looking to built a unique, very small case to stick in the living room and put a TV-out on with a wireless keyboard and mouse, and then hook up a USB gamepad (radio shack makes a PS2 to USB convertor). I was going to use it for people who come over so they can surf the web, play ROM emulators (probably NES and SNES), and maybe some other games.

However, after reading a lot more information on the Mini-ITX homepage, I realized that for the performance and price, I'd be willing to sacrifice the incredibly tiny small form factor in leiu of being able to upgrade some of the components so people could also play some decent games (like Counter-Strike or other FPS games). The only problem now is, I can't seem to find any size specs for Micro-ATX boards at the places I've looked, and I haven't been able to find many boards WITHOUT built-in graphics that also support 400FSB and DDR400.

Before I start on anything, I want to know what I could conceivable fit the system into. I'm wanting build a small, obscure looking case that doesn't pop right out and scream "I'm a computer sitting in your entertainment center cabinet!", but also one that still looks decently techie.

The mini-ITX seemed like a fun idea, because of all the things you can potentially cram it into, but I just can't justify starting a project like that right now for the fun of it when I really need something that has a little more scalability and functionality.

I agree with your thinking, mini ITX still isn't quite there for what you want, decent MP3 server and DVD player but thats about it.

Do you actually plan on building the case from scratch or buying a case and installing your own gear?

You should check out the Antec Aria case, fits mATX sized boards, comes with a quiet, decent looking 300watt PSU for $95.00

Antec Aria Review
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article146-page1.html

I've built 2 rigs using these nForce2 mATX boards, the onboard graphics can be tweaked for some decent gaming and it has Dual-VGA, Firewire, SPDIF & Soundstorm audio included for $85.00 from NewEgg

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-150-041&depa=1

Heres the TV-Out add-on card for it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-209&depa=1

Regards, Balrog

diggingforgold said:
Mini-ITX is what you find in small toaster computers (like the Shuttle XPC). They generally have less expandability in exchange for their compact size. Most have 1 PCI slot, a few have AGP, but most are cheap low end non upgradable motherboards, with an exception to most mobos found in Shuttles XPC line. Almost all have integrated everything (lan, audio, video, etc..). This is the smallest standard motherboard you can get.

Hey that ISNT the smallest board. Look at this board http://www.dpie.com/miniboards/786lcd525.html, this board is the size of a cd rom drive 5.25, while mini-ITX is 6.69" squared.

I'm looking into a micro myself and for full overclocking potential, Epox is the only company I've found so far. The Shuttle that was mentioned apparantely does not have voltage adjustment in BIOS, although the FSB and memory can be adjusted. Epox has a new micro board coming out mid April (hopefully) and supports Dual Channel and a 400 fsb. I'm still waiting for an answer from Epox on when exactly it's coming out. Anyway, hope this answered your question. I've never looked into the mini boards.

Back