• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF? boot to a linux cd, but not a windows cd??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blimpie

Registered
Ok, so i was going to load windows 2k on an older machine, to use as a file server. So, i go to start installing win 2k, and it gives me a cdboot failure, error 04, or something like that. It is a bootable cd, and the cd rom is bootable also, as i have installed linux on this machine with it.
So, if i boot with a linux bootable cd, it works, but not with a windows cd?? WTF? I have already flashed the bios to the newest update(did that when i got the pyle). Is there any other way to install windows 2k, instead of having to boot to the cd itself? I do know that you cannot boot to dos, and try running the setup.exe, just says that it cannot be performed in a dos enviornment.
I have tried different cd-roms, different cables, even plugging the cdrom into the ide primary position.
Im stuck, i have no idea what to do next. I could just put the hdd in another machine, and install, then swap hdd's, but i would really like to figure this problem out, as it is really bugging me now.

Thanks in advance.

Why not just use linux if it's going to be a file server? That's one of the things for which linux can be very good. You can use SAMBA to share with windows machines.

Other than that, you may need to load a third-party drive for you ide or scsi controller (whichever the cdrom is on) at the very begining of the installation. Or are you not getting that far? In that case, you could try running the install from a dos bootdisk with mscdex installed (so you can access the cdrom and run setup).

The thing i dont like about using linux as a file server is that i dont know how to set up the passwords. I want it so that you need a password to access any info on the server, but as soon as you stop accessing the files, to "disconnect" you so you have to enter a user name and password again. I leave my computer a lot throught the day, and others have access to it, and i dont want them to have access to the files on the server.
Also, its not the disks im using, they all work in another machine, i will try and make the setup disks, and try from there.

Thanks for the inputs

Ok, i got it going, just made the boot disks from the cd rom. The ones i got from bootdisk.com didnt work, the makedisk.exe and mkdisk32.exe dont work, as soon as you hit a letter, they kick you out of the program.
But, its loadin win2k right now.
Thanks for the info

lol, yup.
Anyway, how do you display your uptime in windows 2k? for xp you can just punch in a dos prompt systeminfo, but that doesnt work on 2k, any help?

Back