• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB 2.0 Probs With Win XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fac_29

No matter what i try i cant get my USB 2.0 Ports to work. I initially tried the standalone Win XP Drivers someone gave me but every device i installed failed to get recognised.
I've spent all day downloading Service Pack 1 on my 56k connection. I installed it(and expected it to work) but still i get the same prob. I've even tried installing the extra Via USB2.0 Drivers to improve compatability with my board, as well as formatting my hard drive and reinstalling everything.
Windows reports that they are working properly and when i plug something in it even installs fine, then after about 20 seconds i get a "there is a problem with this device" message and "unknown device", anyone any ideas?

What device is it that you are using? Have you verrfied that it works on another computer?

I had a heck of a time getting USB 2 to work on my computer, and ended up going with firewire instead, I don't know if that is an option for you.

Its a Saitek P2500 Rumble Pad i picked up. I also get the same problem with a 4 Port USB Hub someone gave me which is brand new and unused.

No i dont have firewire :( I'm using an old Creative Cobra Serial Pad at the moment and that was a pain to get working with XP too, till i found some unoffical drivers someone had made. I really wanna get this new pad workin, i've had it for over a month. The joys of PC Gaming eh. It seems i spend most of my time trying to get things to work than actually playing any games :mad:

If its only a game pad then it should work with USB 1.1

Pretty much all USB 2.0 devices are backwards compatabile.

What about power management?
If your usb ports are built-into the motherboard, you should not have any problems with power.
If they are in a front panel or through a hub, the usb ports may not be giving enough power to the Rumble Pad.
I also had a scanner that sometimes would not be reconized properly. I shut it down (pulled the power plug), disconnected the cable from the USB port, reconnected the power and then the USB cable and it worked fine. Try that if you can.

They're on the Motherboard, it has 6 USB Ports(2 Front and 4 on the back). But the 2 on the front i've been using are an optional extension, it has 4 Default USB 2.0 Ports and 1 extra set of headers for 2 additional USB 2.0 Ports upgrade which i have got.

My motherboard manual says, "Powermanagement for USB 2.0 works fine under Windows XP, it might not work properly under Windows 98, ME, 2000..." I use Windows XP Professional with SP1, but i guess maybe it could be a power problem, certainly sounds like it from what you say. I'll have to look into that more, thanks.

LOL same problem (ive been finding people with exact problems as I'm having all day today). Front USB 2.0 does not work (I know I installed them correctly). Next time I'm going to try plugging front USB into the USB 1.1, but I thought 2.0 was backwards compatible.

Plug in camera.
Power on camera.
Windows plays USB connected sound "doo-Doo".
Error baloon pops up.
Device is not recognized.
Power off camera.
Windows plays USB disconnected sound "Doo-doo".

usb.PNG

usb2.PNG

I think it's the front USB on the case that is not compatible with 2.0. But I might be wrong. Time to switch to the 1.1 front usb (have to disassemble H2O to get to it :mad:).

EDIT: May I ask what case you have. I have an aluminum chieftec server case with 2 front USB and 1 front firewire. Just wondering if you have the same case.

I had this issue when the NF2's first came out...after swearing and ripping everything out more then once...I found out it was a bad SP1 install...problem was...to get SP1 to install correctly...I had to do a complete reformat...not even the restore program would fix the issue...

Back