• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First overclock!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Tall

Hi guys, first post on the forums so go easy :)

I've had a good read up on overclocking on various sites, and I've managed to get my Athlon XP1800 clocked at 1875MHz - 150FSB 12.5 multiplier @ 1.8V. Temps are 26degC case/40degC idle, going up to 26degC case/46degC CPU running the burn in thing on Sandra, just using the CPU tests.

The temps seem very good from what I've read on here - but I do have a massive copper heatsink with a big ugly centrifugal fan affair bolted on top (not sure what it is, bought it of a guy at work, but it's loud - says Aero 5 on it).

I think my CPU is a Tbred B - I unlocked the multiplier by pencilling across the L3 #5 bridge, and there weren't any pits to fill in. My mobo is an ECS K7S6A.

Anyway, I've tried to go to a 166FSB, but it just won't post. Nothing. I don't think it's the memory, as one of the bios options is 133fsb with 166 memory clock, and that works fine. The system is very stable at 150fsb, but it just will not have it when I change it to 166 - is this a peculiarity of this motherboard, or am I just trying to push things too far? I'm a bit disappointed as I can't push the multiplier any higher - it only goes to 12.5.

Eek... I've written an essay... sorry about that :)

Oh, and hello!

Cool, thanks guys - I guess it must be the RAM, which is just PC2100.

It does boot OK if I run the FSB at 133, and the RAM at 166, but I guess 166/166 is too much for it.

Thanks for the help - CPU-Z says I've got a Thoroughbred, but I can't see whether it's an A or a B.

Cheers!

I have seen PC2100 hit well over PC3200 speeds.

There is no unlocking needed if its a TBred as they are factor unlocked. Im not sure what you were doing, when you pencil modded the L3. The pencil mod only works on the older chips anyways, like the Duron Spitfire, and the Thunderbird.

You can also lower the multiplier and raise the FSB to get to the same speed. Set the multiplier low, and keep pushing the FSB up to see how far you can get.

That PC2100 you saw hitting 200 FSB is either not running in sync or is a rare mislabeled PC2100 RAM.

Generic PC2100 is not supposed to be able to hit even into high 150s FSB.
Generic PC2700 is not supposed to be able to hit even into high 190s FSB.

Those are the averages. If a stick hits more than that, that's an exception, not the rule.

{PMS}fishy said:
I have seen PC2100 hit well over PC3200 speeds.

There is no unlocking needed if its a TBred as they are factor unlocked. Im not sure what you were doing, when you pencil modded the L3. The pencil mod only works on the older chips anyways, like the Duron Spitfire, and the Thunderbird.

You can also lower the multiplier and raise the FSB to get to the same speed. Set the multiplier low, and keep pushing the FSB up to see how far you can get.

Really? Dammit - I spent ages making a nice neat job of that L3 bridge :)

The reason I did it was that there's a whole stack of articles on the web all saying that the Tbred needs to be unlocked, e.g.

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/cpu/unlock/index.shtml

As for the FSB/multiplier thing, I've got the fsb as high as it'll go (even if I drop the multiplier right down, it won't post at 166, but it's rock steady at 150), and I've got the multiplier as high as that will go too - I guess that's as fast as I'm going with this mobo.

Cheers!

As far as FSB is concerned I tried many PC2100 sticks neither one of which could ever do more than 152-ish.

c627627 said:
If a [PC2100] stick hits more than that, that's an exception, not the rule.

Back