• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a7v333 overvoltage jumper won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vaneesbe

Registered
I'm trying to OC a XP-M 2500+ on an A7V333.

I can run at 2.52Ghz @ 1.85V for awhile before programs start crashing and the computer ultimately reboots. I get to 1.85V using the on board jumpers.

I think 1.9V will get me there, but I can't figure out how to achieve it. I can get 1.9-2.0 V using the onboard jumpers in combination with the OVERVOLTAGE jumper. I check the voltage achieved in the bios.

However, whenever overvoltage is enabled, it simply won't boot. It posts and begins to boot, but either the WINXP boot screen goes on forever or I just get a black screen after awhile. I never actually get into Windows.

What's the deal with this? Can anyone help me out with how to achive a bootable 1.95V on an A7V333?

Please stop doing this. PLEASE, for your own sake.

People don't even go over... 1.8v I think it is, or around there...

2.5ghz on an Athlon is GOOD for WATER COOLING, and if your using AIR, then WOW, anything above 2.4ghz is good, of course I'm talking stable.

People get 2.3ghz on average with Athlons. Pumping 1.9v into it will kill it quickly in my oppinion. If you NEED performance like that, I'd go with another complete setup, especially motherboard.

If I were you, I'd do some reading before I burned out that processor, and/or maybe something else. Be content with 2.3ghz or so. Maybe even 2.2ghz.

Good Luck.

and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :)

It could be that your psu cant cope with such voltage loads - also you will need to check your temperatures to make sure they are OK - you have not mentioned what type of cooling you have. Have you had a chance to check the voltage rails at 1.85Vcore?

I have a Switech MC462 heat sink. It's probably the best heatsink ever made.
My PS is a 450W Enermax.

Sisoft says my temperature seems to run 40-54 degrees C. However, my bios tells me it runs 60-75 degrees C. I'm not sure which is right.

Don't listen to foxie. Overvolting does not kill things as long as it is under 2.2 volts. Heat kills things. The swiftech is a nice heatsink, but it is not the best airsink out there. The sp97 is widely regarded as the best out there. Yours should still be more than enough. My cpu/sp97 never runs over 50 even oced to 2.6 gighz. I would say you are a little warm....what is the ambient temp in your room? You might try some arctic silver and reseat your heatsink and get a better fan. I am using an antec 80 mm and it works quite well......good luck.:cool:

P.S. get an NF7-S or Lanparty, it will solve your voltage problwms.......

I have Artic Silver on that chip.....the fan is a big 5,000 RPM unit that I have limited to 4,000 with a variable resistor because at 5,000 RPM it is SO DAMNDED LOUD. :)

Wish I could figure out why I can't adjust my voltage with the overvoltage jumper.....just setting that jumper makes this A7V333 unbootable, no matter what the voltage is set to. WTF?

Must be your motherboard...I have seen an NF7 on Newegg for $41. That would solve your problems for cheap.(REFURB)

i don't think telling someone that the threshold for voltages on air cooling is 2.2v is a good idea. my barton wouldn't take anything over 1.9ish until i got liquid cooling, and will not load windows at 2.1vcore, with any fsb/multi combo. having said that i have had it running on 2v core for almost a year now....with H20 cooling. every chip is different, they all have a point where voltage becomes detrimental though, and high voltage surely diminishes the life of the cpu.

I still stand my ground that heat kills components and not voltage to a point. It(voltage) of course lowers the life but so does any overclocking. My point is to treat every chip according to how it responds to changing voltage which will increase heat. I have now bulit 3 computers in the last week with the barton core and oced them all to at least 2.5. I am in no way an expert, but I am only reporting what I see from my own personal experience....

don't listen to zxlr8. You can treat each processor differently accordingly...but if you do it his way, you'll have MANY different processors to treat differently.

"OverVoltage jumper" is 1.9v for a reason.

Yes, it is decreasing the life to overclock, or increase the voltage....increasing the voltage won't just kill it....but if you do'nt know what your doing, and running it at 2.2v, you WILL have a dead processor very quickly, not in 10 years when they're supposed to die or so.

Hands up who wants their processor to last ten years? Anyway you have the A7V333 same as me so I suggest you install asus probe to check your temperatures. The other thing I would suggest if these results (once installed) re-inforce the bios results is to make sure your heat sink is properly seated and you have applied just the thinnest of layers of AS. With that heatsink you should get lower temperatures (BTW my fan runs at over 6000rpm!) One other thing before you changed the jumper I assume you lowered the voltage in the bios?

Foxie3a said:
Please stop doing this. PLEASE, for your own sake.

People don't even go over... 1.8v I think it is, or around there...

2.5ghz on an Athlon is GOOD for WATER COOLING, and if your using AIR, then WOW, anything above 2.4ghz is good, of course I'm talking stable.

People get 2.3ghz on average with Athlons. Pumping 1.9v into it will kill it quickly in my oppinion. If you NEED performance like that, I'd go with another complete setup, especially motherboard.

If I were you, I'd do some reading before I burned out that processor, and/or maybe something else. Be content with 2.3ghz or so. Maybe even 2.2ghz.

Good Luck.

and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :)

Im running 1.9v right now, and have run 2.0

I say nonsense to your 1.85v reccomendation.

But then again, you've also modified your system, and have had much of experience...My recommendation was to a person who did not understand why he can not make his computer run stably at 2.5ghz

He's trying to get his computer to run stable at a speed that a lot of you can't get to with all of your overclocking skills...and he's just trying to put up the voltage. I don't think that he knows for sure if that really could help or not.

So I recommended slowing it down a bit, and get a little bit more knowledge, so that he doesn't regret anything later.

Again I say how do you know he did not mod his system and is not experienced - you jumped in assuming he was a newbie (presumably because of the lack of stars) without ascertaining if your assumption was correct. Your advice of not going over 1.8V and that 1.9V will quickly kill it is not something that can be advised without full knowledge of the cooling system.
BTW I dont know much about Intel cpus and would be loathe to give advice on them....

Foxie, just cause someone doesnt have alot of posts, doesnt mean that they dont know what they are doing. So stop assuming such. 2) Why are you one to complain about someones actions with AMD systems when you dont have one

and 3) I agree with OC Detective to some extent. Who is gonna use their processor for 10 years? in 3 the thing will be too slow to be really comfortable with.

And as far as the whole overvoltage jumper thing, you may have to ask someone that has a similar board and see what results they have. Cause I am sure that just about any barton can support higher than 1.85v :mad: and still be fine and dandy.

For me, my board only supports 1.8v so I am a lil dissappointed. I want to hit 2.5+ with my sk-7! Best i can do stable is 2.37ghz at 1.75v

My advice was not specific to AMD, it was a general question. And YOUR assuming that I was assuming. Yes, stars did play a factor, but also the wording he was using. He didn't present any former knowledge of overlocking, and seems puzzled at how it would not be stable at 2.5ghz. And alll he wanted to know was how to raise the Vcore even higher!

I responded to the thread as it was making its way down from the top, unreplied to. So I can't really say that you would have said the same as me, because no one was responding, I try to help, and get flamed, basically.

Vaneesbe. Go into the hardware monitor section of your bios and tab down to the vcore readout. click on it to change the readout to the word "ignore". Once you go over a certain vcore, that readout will turn red which means you are exceeding the recommended voltage and will not be able to boot up. So you need to change it to "ignore". Now whether or not your system will actually be able to boot at the oc you want to run at is another story.

I had a A7V333 and XP2100 Tbredb a little over a year ago and was able to mod it so I could change my vcore from 1.8v to 2.2V with a pot and got to 2620mhz.

Foxie3a said:
My advice was not specific to AMD, it was a general question. And YOUR assuming that I was assuming. Yes, stars did play a factor, but also the wording he was using. He didn't present any former knowledge of overlocking, and seems puzzled at how it would not be stable at 2.5ghz. And alll he wanted to know was how to raise the Vcore even higher!

I responded to the thread as it was making its way down from the top, unreplied to. So I can't really say that you would have said the same as me, because no one was responding, I try to help, and get flamed, basically.
Firstly you are not being flamed well not by me at least - I am merely pointing out how you might have helped better. Secondly the initial post displays a knowledge of an undocumented overvoltage jumper (it is not in the manual only people on forums such as this discuss it) so to say he displays no knowledge of overclocking is incorrect. Oh and thirdly this is the AMD cpu forum not the general one....
You keep trying to dig yourself out of a hole but the hole seems to get bigger every time lol.

Back