• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1800+ Agoia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thephoneguy

Registered
I have one of these, unlocked it last night, and verified that I can change the multiples. I have found that they don't always match up when you chnge them, 11=11, 10=9, 12=11.5 etc. To get to the point, I am new to "extreme" overclocking, and some of the taught fundamentals in my head are troubling me.
For today, I was using an Asus A7V8X , and I cannot push this beyond 1725Mhz. I have done the slow climb up and it will not restart after 150 FSB, and if I drop the multiplyer to 9, then I can go to 166FSB. I just went online and bought a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L, as I have read nothing but good things about it. I will exchange my 512 stick for 2 256's to take advantage of the dual channel ram, and then go from there.

the question come like this...if I have a cpu with a 266 FSB, and I am running 400 ram, then I should not even think about the ram holding me back, provided I am below 400 FSB...I know as long as the ratio for pci/agp is correct, things should be ok. If that is true, then the only things I should be paying attention to on this Mobo (soltek) is the Vcore..correct? NB will be under spec, as will SB. And as long as the ratio is set closest to the ram speed, then what else is there? I have read that this chip is a good OC'er, and so is this mobo. I dare ask what I could expect....but It would be real nice to get 2Gig out of it. I have a Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF, and I have had good success with these on Bartons' so they have to work on something slower/cooler. I will have a 350W PSU, and lots of air moving. If anyone has some pearls to drop, then drop em.....

Thanks all.

if I have a cpu with a 266 FSB, and I am running 400 ram, then I should not even think about the ram holding me back, provided I am below 400 FSB...

It depends. You can get the most out of your system by shooting for the highest FSB possible. Since you have unlocked your pally, the multipliers are unlocked, which will allow you use higher FSBs with a lower multiplier. I don't know what the typical ceiling for a Palomino's FSB is, but in case you got a better CPU, you could easily jump past 200mhz (400mhz DDR) FSB, in which case the RAM would become a bottleneck.

I know as long as the ratio for pci/agp is correct, things should be ok. If that is true, then the only things I should be paying attention to on this Mobo (soltek) is the Vcore..correct?

AGP/PCI/FSB ratio is a thing of the past in the Nforce2 boards. Nothing to worry about, the speeds are locked, and won't be the source of any instability as they were in earlier boards.

The things you DO want to configure is the Vcore (obviously), the VDIMM (if you plan on taking the RAM past 200mhz), and VDD (chipset voltage), if you want the FSB past 210mhz or so.

I have read that this chip is a good OC'er, and so is this mobo. I dare ask what I could expect....but It would be real nice to get 2Gig out of it.

The motherboard is an excellent overclocker, among some of the best. The CPU however (palomino core), is a very poor overclocker. I would be *VERY* suprised if you made it anywhere near 2.0ghz. I have used several 1700+ T-bred A's (a generation newer than your chip) which none have gotten to 2.0ghz.

I have a Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF, and I have had good success with these on Bartons' so they have to work on something slower/cooler.

You have to realize that the Palomino default voltage is 1.75V to run measly 1800+ speeds. That leaves very little room for overclocking, whereas after 1.85V or so, heat becomes a serious problem. Unless you have some serious air-cooling or better, heat WILL become a problem.

Barton CPU's on the other hand, run 1.65V default for higher speeds, on a smaller die, which makes overclocking a lot easier in comparison to the old Palomino's.

Newegg has 2400+ Mobile Barton's for 77$. If you're really serious about performance, I'd suggest you look into it. Your new motherboard is a definate performer, as is your other mentioned components, now your CPU is lagging far behind.

A Mobile Barton

You figure that is a good choice ...as you can change the multiplyer? I have seen lots of threads about those. I see in your sig that you have a 2500+ and the mobo I bought...is it a mobile, or a desktop. I have had a few bartons before i went 64, and loved em. Will the mobile with 1/2 the cache be better at this hight clock?

I have a desktop Barton. It's a very early model (year 03, week 15), so it's unlocked, but it hits a brick wall at about 2310mhz for an overclock.

I just sold my Barton on Ebay in favor of a Mobile Barton. I only spent about 5$ in the process. The mobile chips are nice, because their default voltage is lower to obtain the same speeds, which means a definate increased potential overclock. I ordered mine from Newegg, it'll be here Wednesday. I'll post up how it does.

Plus, because of the way PowerNow works (power management in Laptops, work by manipulating the multipliers to slow the CPU and reduce power) the multipliers have to be left unlocked.

The Mobile chips have the same amount of cache as the desktop variety, so it's preferred over the T-breds (with only 1/2 the cache). These are definate performers over 2.4ghz which seems to be the low-average for these chips.

Back