• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rambuss on a AMD system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rambus (or rdram) is designed for intel systems only. There are only 4 chipsets that can use it as far as I know. the Intel i850, i820, and i860 as well as one by SiS the R659.

It allowed greater bandwidth, but not so much in speeds. I believe it was around near the end of the P3 days. I think Rambus is trying to come back with something new, not sure though.

Dukemurmur said:
ok i was just wondering what allows Intell to supot rambus?
support rambus is right. intel basically gave the computer market to rambus on a silver platter, but rambus could not keep up its end and eventually intel cut ties with rambus and left them floundering.

rdram had great performance for its mhz. it is still a capable performer, but there is no upgrade path for it. the i850 is the top of the line consumer rdram chipset. the i860 for xeon boards is the only workstation/server rdram chipset. both of which are several years old and cannot truly compete with current technology like dual channel ddr and DDRII.

TheTick said:
It allowed greater bandwidth, but not so much in speeds. I believe it was around near the end of the P3 days. I think Rambus is trying to come back with something new, not sure though.
the i850 was for pentium 4 processors. it was limited to a top range of approximately 185-190mhz. it offered much higher bandwidth per mhz than ddr, but its lack of ability to raise the mhz speed led to its downfall. ddr continued scaling while rdram was stuck. intel sensed this and moved along choosing to continue with ddr based chipsets.

Dukemurmur said:
When wil AMD support DDRII? I have been wondering this for quite sometime now.
the new NF3 250 chipset is said to support DDRII. we won't know for sure until it is unveiled late this month or in april.

This is an athlon 64 board yes as i think that i have heard that they arn't going to make any more socket A for a long long time to come.

amd is not going to further the athlon XP. the move to A64 is priority for them.

you are correct the NF3 250 is a Athlon 64 chipset.

DDRII in and of itself will not provide a performance increase. the move to DDRII is to facilitate further speed increases in mhz, not efficiency. DDRII and DDRI at the same speed should result in approximately the same performance. we have reached the limit of DDRI's mhz capability, DDRII is just getting warmed up at this speed.

Dukemurmur said:
ahh ok i got u, so it isn't worth buying any until the get over pc 5000 or so? with the DDRII
correct. unless the motherboard you want only runs DDRII the only reason to get it is if you need/want higher mhz memory speed than DDRI can offer.

perhaps, but new technologies are always prone to defects and flaws so i would not expect good overclocking until at least one revision has occured and perhaps not until several have happened.

that was also what i was thinking like the prescotts. Just as a stupid question coulden't they put in a second layer like ther are doing for the NW's?

Maxvla said:

the i850 was for pentium 4 processors. it was limited to a top range of approximately 185-190mhz. it offered much higher bandwidth per mhz than ddr, but its lack of ability to raise the mhz speed led to its downfall. ddr continued scaling while rdram was stuck. intel sensed this and moved along choosing to continue with ddr based chipsets.
Acctually rdram had a much lower banwdth per mhz. It ran at whopping 300, 400, and 533mhz when it was used by intel. Like ddr it also gave off 2 transfers a tick. Plus it was run in dual channel while ddr was stuck in single channel. The reason for the llow bandwidth per mhz was because rdram had a 16bit bus while ddr has a 64bit bus. Its lack of ability to scale bandwidth fast enough upward along with high prices did lead to its downfall. By the time rdram started moving to a 32bit bus it was too late. Its bandwidth could not compete with dual channel ddr to power p4's 800 mhz system bus.

Back