• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here is the new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeddyz

Registered
Just thought i would make u guys a little jealous with my new system. Here is the breakdown:

Abit KV8-MAX3 Mainboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
OCZ 2x512MB 3500@433mHz
MSI FX5700
4 WD 120 Gig SATA HD'S Raid 0
Zalman 400w SIlent Power Supply
Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu CPU Cooler
Zalman ZM80C-HP Heatpipe
Antec Sonata Black Mid Tower Case
2x Vantec Stealth 120mm Fans
LiteOn 52x CD-R
LiteOn 16x DVD-ROM

Im Planning on Water cooling it because its not as quite as I would like it to be......maybe even adding some sound deadning material. but at least all the big purchases are over:)
Now I just wait until someone finds a way to unlock this awesome CPU

You see......there is a finite amount of money in my bank account, and a perfectly good video card in my old machine....lol so when the price of the 256mb cards come down from 600 CAD then i will upgrade.....but for a guy who mostly uses his machine for counterstrike and my 70 Gig mp3 collection......that card is sufficient for now

i see nothing wrong with the Video Card you have , as long as it plays the games you want it to play. look at the one in my sig i have no problem's with it. i play UT 2003 play the Demo for UT 2004 with no problem. and a old SiS 315 64mb.

CS.... bleh

Nice system, however I am gonna have to suggest not putting all 4 drives in a RAID 0 config. If one dies, the whole thing is toast! Unless you use like windows and run a software raid 5 per say. If one of the drives dies, you replace it, windows recreates the drive and you still have the higher performance than a single drive, or 2, and the redundancy to keep it safe. However you wont have 100% of the capacity. Not quite sure what the %loss for redundancy is. If I ever get that many drives, thats what I plan on doin. RAID 5 baby!

i have an external 120 gig usb drive for all of my backup. if the drive fails thats cool with me in terms of storage. the performance gain from all for drives is significant over the two raid 0 setup that i was using before.....i notice a big difference atleast :)
the issue with micro$haft software raid is just that.......its software.....so why even go raid....its crappy and slow.....micro$haft only introduced that for people who want to say they have a riad system when all they have done is trick windows into thinking all the drives are one. the main benifit from true raid is that all the chanels are reading and writing together making a dramatic increase in transfer. why would you tell the software........to tell the software to do something. it uses resources and its crappy. sorry if this is news to you, but micro$haft sux......the only reason we use it is because its the monopoly. besides.....when my mom freaks because she changed her desktop settings......its nice to have an easy fix.
atleast thats my 2 cents

zeddyz said:
uless you wanna remove the heatsink on the cip...then yes

^^^^^^ ???
What does it have to do with the heatsink on the chip?
All Hammer chips are multiplier locked above their default multiplier (except the FX) and the A64 is unlocked from its max multi and down. while the opteron is totally locked.

i cant adjust the multipluer for my 64 3200+
i was saying that the heat sinc on the 64 chip itself limits the possibility of unlocking it....unless we wanna start routing wires on the pins

here is the HD test results

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 64
Back