• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new mobile; quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuruga2

i just ordered a 2500 a few days ago and recieved a confimation email that said:
AMD MOBILE ATHLON XP 2500+ 1.86GHz 266FSB BARTON 45W 1.45V OEM

266FSB, is this right? or is that the memory bandwidth and the fsb should be 133?

what this really boils down to is: is this chip going to run in my board or will it sit on the shelf waiting for my next upgrade?

mobile ones are 266FBS, i like it that way, those ones with the KT333 board benefits from this, alot, and i have a KT 333 board. when i get bore with my duron, and mobile chips drops to about 50 then i'll get one, at 100 bucks it still a little too expensive for me. i wonder how much of a jump i can get switching from my rig to a barton M? i'm thinking of about 500 mhz different, maybe a little more?

Shuruga2 said:
266FSB, is this right? or is that the memory bandwidth and the fsb should be 133?

266FSB / 2 = actual FSB of 133Mhz. 266mhz is the effective speed of the Double Data Rate effect. In essence, data is sent down the FSB 2 times per clock cycle, therefore the equlvilent of 266Mhz on a 133 bus.

yes, 150fsb is the max my manual says i can do

bchur83: that sounds like a 'yes, this chip will run in your board'. thats what i'm hoping. i have a week before it gets here to know for sure

Yeah it should work, since it is a 133FSB chip, and your board supports up to 150. You may need to raise the multiplier over 13x to get a high OC. to do this, you may need to check out the sticky at the top of the AMD CPU section to do a wire mod to get 13x+ multipliers. This is assuming you plan to OC.

Back