• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nf7-s + Sata = > : |

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ri0_6667

I just cant get the damn thing to work.

I go to install windows, hit f6 to install scsi or raid drivers, select the correct one, it loads and when I hit enter to install windows the system just shuts down.

I've tried every driver it lists in that little menu, updated the bios to whatever the newest one is, and I just cant figure it out :(

Ive googled around for similar problems and havnt found any so I was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction, the system is as follows:

Abit nf7-s rev2.0 - Mobile barton 2500 with slk947u + 92mm
1 seagate 80 gig 8m cache sata harddrive.
Bios version 21 or 2.1, or whatever the latest is, I forget.

The harddrive IS recognized by the raid setup menu, but nomatter what driver I try it shuts itself down.

I'm running out of options here and I'm thinking if theres no other way, I might just install windows with a spare 20gig, then ghost the partition over to the sata drive. Thats not the best practice for a customers computer though because they'd never be able to format without me.

Any ideas or reccomendations very welcome :D

Sounds fishy that the install is shutting down. Are you picking the 3112 drivers? I'm sure that you've tried clearing CMOS just for a clean slate.

Weird, it shouldn't give you any problems! Got the same MB, using SATA for my drive and it has all been happiness. Had no problems installing anything.

Well, the MB would shut down and turn it's sirens on for me, but that was not related to SATA..

Just the windows installer shutting down? And only when you select the drivers? So, if you just leaving it waiting for you to select a driver it will sit there happily? Not shutting down?

Yep, it'll just sit there. Its just before the screen where you normally select/create/delete partitions. :\

Yes it was the 3112 driver, but like I said, I tried all of them. No luck.

The system boots knoppix just fine, but I'm not a linux person, I just booted it up to see if it was fine while waiting for my sata power adapter, but it works great.

I dont really know what to think, maybe I'll try some older bios versions.

Just an update: I was running at 200 x 11 w/ 1.6volts. temps were 36 - 46, system was stable so I assumed all was good.

Cut it back to 166 x 11 w/ 1.6 and its working. weird eh?
I hope i'll be able to overclock and keep sata too :s

one thing with an installation of XP is I think it is heavily cache dependant, as I have seens temps in excess of playing things like UT2K3 for hours on end from just running the beginning of the XP install :santa2:

also this may highlight any slight instability in your system, so its always best to just return to stock speeds to rule out any probs before installing windows

Yea, thanks. Windows is installed and im ocing/updating/priming now :D

I'll be happy to get 2.4 out of it but I hear a bunch are getting 2.6 - 2.8
Its got me on the edge of my seat :D

You're overclocking a customer's computer?! :confused:

lol. Anyways, 1.6v is fairly low for 200x11. Desktop Bartons stock voltage is 1.65v, so it's even lower than that. I know this is a mobile barton, which is 1.4v default (I think) for 1.83ghz, but it may have been you just weren't giving it enough voltage. From what I've read, 200x11 at 1.6v would be on the higher end of mBartons, and you may just have an "average" one, of course average being a relative term.

Back