• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Abit NF7-S Rev 2 Support Raid for UATA 133 HD's (I Dont mean SATA)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cytomax

Hello all i was just wondering if the uber Abit NF7-S Rev2.0 supports raid for ATA 133 HD's (NOT SATA i know it supports raid for SATA) if not which would be the best NF2 Board that OC's with this feature..
Eddie

The only way I can see it working is if you use a SATA to PATA adapter and connect the SATA Ports to the adapter which is then attached to your PATA drives. Other than that, the NF7 doesn't have any ATA Raid connections. Another option would be to buy a Add In card, such as a Promise or Highpoint Raid controller.

i have my two maxtor ata133 drives in raid-0 using the sata adapters. works like a charm. there is NOT ide raid onboard on the nf7-s. but you can use the sata to raid a couple pata drives if you use the sata adapters.

J.
`

Thanks for the info i guess thats going to be my next board i do have 2 questions though.

1)I noticed that there are only 2 SATA ports on the nf7-s board.. do SATA work like PATA where each port is capable of supporting 2 Devices so i can have 4 SATA devices on 2 SATA ports?

2) Can one have 4 PATA devices connected AND whatever the max number of SATA devices available connected?

Thanks in Advance
Eddie

Yes you can max out everything, that means have 4 PATA and 2 SATA.

I havent heard of anyone putting 2 PATAs to a SATA controller through a convertor and a single SATA port. I do know that the digital protocol layer allows master/slave stuff, for backwards compatibility, but I dont know if this allows you to actaully have 2 devices.

IMO I think it was SUPER SUPER DUMB that they didn't allow for daisy chaining on SATA. And with the upcoming 300mbs SATA, yeah, what in hell do you have that can make 300mbs when you can only have 1 device on that channel? If you have multiple devices working at the same time you can saturate that,

but I DARE ALLL of OC forums to find me a device that can sustained use (cache transfers dont count) of that bandwidth (300mbs) and that ISN'T a solid state drive.

thanks for the info bulk 88... i guess all i have to do is get 1 extra PATA to SATA adapter seeing how the abit generously gave me one in the box...
btw...
THATS sick bulk88 you have 59 other rigs doing stuff in your home? man does it get hot in there?
Eddie

Its at a small office in a office building, yes I have a 3 foot wide fan going to break up the dead hot spots. And yes every spring we have issues because they are lazy bums and dont want to turn on the AC until it is 80 outside (and 90 in the room). I am maxing out about 3 20 amp circuts.

Oh also you can try using software RAID which I know is inckuded in Win2k, it will be under control pannel-administractie tools-computer managment- disk mangment, I belive it is called a "dynamic disk", I dont know how well it works, but i've enver used it and neveer heard of anyone using it

Back