• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad New xp2200 = @ junk mobo's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr_Obvious

Well, I see the emergency 911 forum is gone, Or at least I can't find it in any search. I purchased a new oem xp2200, Installed it in a brand new MSI board: No post. and it would shut down the psu after about 30 seconds. I am using a spire rock rated for a XP3200 and AS3. I pulled the xp out and put my 1300 duron off my working computer, same thing. I took the 1300 back out and replaced it in my working computer: No Post. I borrowed my brothers pci card mobo tool, both read code 00 which is supposed to mean good. I was very careful installing the xp, I know they are fragile, and used the utmost care installing the hsf. Could this Xp have taken out 2 mobo's in one shot? and fried my working fine 1300? And before you ask, I did change the fsb jumper to 133 before installing the XP, and changed it back to 100 for the duron, and cleared cmos.

If you damaged either processor during hsf installation it would be clearly visible (cracked core, burnt spots from uneven heatsync). That whole "After 30 seconds" thing makes me question you psu. What brand, how many watts?

Its a deer 300w, I also tried it with my antec 300w. Is 300 watt not enough for an XP? processor? could the xp have killed it so it won't work with the duron? I was suspicious of this myself, but after trying 2 working psu's with the same results, I just don't know. Although, I have not tried these psu's on anything else since this has happened. I have one working computer left, My old ASUS P2B that I'm using right now, and its my old reliable rock, and with the way my luck has been running with this stuff. I might just replace the case screws with pop rivets.

Take EVERYTHING out,
then try CPU, heatsink, one stick of RAM only.

It would be wise to spend at least $30 or so on any Fortron PSU (even 300W one since W don't mean anything with PSU manufacturers, only brands do), see if newegg.com has them.

I would sugest not to get a fortron, you get what you pay for.... I had one and insted of saveing me 20 bucks it cost me over 400 becouse it overvolted, dubbled all the rails and killed my Mother board ram and viedo card, and back up mother borad and hard drive. If you going to get a power supply, its the base for the entire system and if it dosent regulate the power strict enough than it wont OC as well, adn when the psu went i wasnt OCed. So spend you money wisely get a Antec true power.

cbakey said:
I would sugest not to get a fortron, you get what you pay for.... I had one and insted of saveing me 20 bucks it cost me over 400 becouse it overvolted, dubbled all the rails and killed my Mother board ram and viedo card, and back up mother borad and hard drive. If you going to get a power supply, its the base for the entire system and if it dosent regulate the power strict enough than it wont OC as well, adn when the psu went i wasnt OCed. So spend you money wisely get a Antec true power.
Does this count as "OC'ing well"?

2730.JPG

winbond.JPG

Take note of the +12v rail. That's better than 2% regulation, at 2.1v, with approximately 19A being drawn from the rail, which, btw, is rated at only 15A. Furthermore, testing the rails on an NF7 with a multimeter shows that the readings are generally about .05v too low.

And this is pretty much the rule, not the exception. 3 of my friends have the same power supply, and all have had success, not to mention the hundreds on this BB that use Fortron PSU's to much success.

It sounds like you got a bad apple, which is inevitable. However, I've seen a lot more bad apples in the case of Antec as opposed to Fortron. In sheer contrast to my 300W Fortron, another friend's Antec True330 failed to keep even a stock 2.8C/9800 Pro stable. The solution/SmartPower series seem even worse.

Here's an experience where only a Fortron managed to cut it, with a system pushed to the extreme.

But I agree with everything that you've said. The power supply truly is the heart of a system. However, considering Antec's track record versus Fortron's, I'd definitely side with the latter without a thought. C627627 had an Antec fail, and you had a Fortron that failed. Both are very solid manufacturers, but neither is perfect, and its inevitable that someone will get the short end of the stick. Very sorry it had to be you. :(

Back