• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7 Vmods...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I decided to go for a new Abit NF7.
I'm aiming for high fsb, around 240+.
I heard that the stock board can't acheive that, nor the ram w/o high voltage.
If you have any tips, guides and everything useful for me please post it here.

Thanks,
Suma.

I know this site man, 10x anyway.
Any other sites, pics, texts and whatever comes up in your mind.

Thanks,
Suma.

Well my tip is check to make sure that the MB works before you start volt modding. Noting could suck more than volt modding a DOA.

People say to put heatsinks on the mosfets. I don't think it helps, but it can't hurt.

I upgraded my NB cooler, but did not put a cooler on the SB. Its not even warm. I think its more of a problem with people using the onboard audio on the "S" models.

Make sure you PSU has good rails, and mod it if necessary.

If you have BH5 you are going to want to mod the V-Dimm deffinalty. Your sig shows CH-5 so I am not sure if you have more RAM somewhere. Highvoltage does not help CH5.

Other than that the 2.0 Rev are suposed to be good on the VDD and not need a mod.

I'm planning to use some BH-6s on that board.
I heard BH-6 is similar to BH-5 in"voltage loving".

Dude, 2866 is amazing, what fsb is that with?

Suma.

Suma said:
I'm planning to use some BH-6s on that board.
I heard BH-6 is similar to BH-5 in"voltage loving".

Dude, 2866 is amazing, what fsb is that with?

Suma.

A crappy one. My MB is giving me hell. It doesn't like to work right, and I cannot figure it out to save my life.

Suma,

the chipset voltage mod and l-12 mod (if you have a 133 chip) help alot and that's a good place to start. If you were lucky your bh-6 may get 233-240 with 2.9v and relatively good timings. If not then you will want to go for the vdimm mod, wich for me made the most difference of any mod. I still would say do the chipset vmod to 1.9v first. that will get you over 225 no problem and for me and 3 of these boards that was the first hurdle. After that the chore is to get past 233 and the vdimm mod is what did that for me. On mine i could get to 250+ after all 3 of the mods i mentioned. I'm running a new one now since i (oops) broke a sata connector off the old one. I have yet to do any mods besides chipset on this one and i'm stuck at 233 till i get more vdimm voltage. :D.

good luck!

J.

juliendogg said:
Suma,

the chipset voltage mod and l-12 mod (if you have a 133 chip) help alot and that's a good place to start. If you were lucky your bh-6 may get 233-240 with 2.9v and relatively good timings. If not then you will want to go for the vdimm mod, wich for me made the most difference of any mod. I still would say do the chipset vmod to 1.9v first. that will get you over 225 no problem and for me and 3 of these boards that was the first hurdle. After that the chore is to get past 233 and the vdimm mod is what did that for me. On mine i could get to 250+ after all 3 of the mods i mentioned. I'm running a new one now since i (oops) broke a sata connector off the old one. I have yet to do any mods besides chipset on this one and i'm stuck at 233 till i get more vdimm voltage. :D.

good luck!

J.

I don't think that VDD makes much of a difference in O/Cing. I would not run much more than 1.8v and I don't think its a good idea to run more than 1.6v on the stock NB cooler. Upgrade that thing if you are going to push more voltage into the NB.

When you get the MB this weekend, let us know how far you can take it stock, then mod one thing at a time, and post back with imporovments. I have the habbit of doing everything at once, and I can't really tell what helps, and what doesn't.

I can say for sure that teh L12 mod is a complete joke. Its not hard, so its not a big deal.

glock19owner said:
Its not a VDD mod this time...its a VTT mod that needs to be done to the newer NF7's

VTT issue thread

Odds are this is why I can not go past 217FSB on the newer NF7-S rev 2.0...

I can't follow any of that. There are like 9 conversations going on over there. What is the mod suposed to do? What size resistor, and where?

Not too sure as of yet since no one seems to know where the resistor is supposed to go...but they have figured out the VTT is what is limiting the newer NF7's FSB (the 215 - 220FSB issue) and some of the older ones going past 240FSB...

I was just pointing out that it is a VTT, not a VDD issue now...

believe me I will...I have been trying to keep up on the issue since I am running into the 215 - 220 issue on my NF7-S rev 2.0...217 seems to be my max no matter what I do or try...starting to PMO big time...my first rev 2.0 could do 245FSB without any mods...RIP...now the latest version is reminding me of the rev 1.1's when not able to hit 200FSB...

I kinda understoond what to do. I liked the idea of using the BIOS controlled Vagp and connecting it to the VTT. It's great cause then you can decide which voltage to run w/o a VR (aka pot) and it's really easy, it's good for 3.0-3.6v (Vagp is from 1.5 to 1.8 right?) What I do need is a confrimation that, that works.

Suma.

{PMS}fishy said:

I don't think that VDD makes much of a difference in O/Cing. I would not run much more than 1.8v and I don't think its a good idea to run more than 1.6v on the stock NB cooler. Upgrade that thing if you are going to push more voltage into the NB.

When you get the MB this weekend, let us know how far you can take it stock, then mod one thing at a time, and post back with imporovments. I have the habbit of doing everything at once, and I can't really tell what helps, and what doesn't.

I can say for sure that teh L12 mod is a complete joke. Its not hard, so its not a big deal.

Well, i do know that on three nf7's i have been stuck at 220 fsb. after the chipset mod i was able to post up to 240 or more but unstable because of ram. So i would say that it does make a big difference and i would recomend doing it as it's the easiest mod to do on this board. Everyone's experience is different but i would have to say that having 3 boards react exactly the same to this mod would have to say something. 2 of them were mine, and one was a friends. Besides that, i have 1.9 to my chipset now @ 233fsb and the cooler is not even close to being hot. Just pop it off and add a little as3 and the stock cooler will do fine.

J.

I think I'll use my old Vantec Iceberq Copper made. It'll make me feel better :p

Oh and by the juliendogg, did you do it with the pencil trick or with some soldering jobs?

Suma.

Suma said:
I think I'll use my old Vantec Iceberq Copper made. It'll make me feel better :p

Oh and by the juliendogg, did you do it with the pencil trick or with some soldering jobs?

Suma.

Probally the pencil, becuase he said it was the eaisest mod. The version with the VR is just as hard as the VDimm.

I'm not afraid of soldering and I don't get the thing with the pencil, how can I set it to whatever I want?

Suma.

Back