• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mcw50 Gpu block x Ramsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overbrazil

Hi friends, i have just ordered a mcw50 gpu block to use with my Ati 9800, but i do have 8 Microcool chipsinks already installed on the memory.
They are 18 mm tall. Anybody can help me if the ramsinks would block the tubing ???:(
Thanks a lot..
Chipsink_foto_2.jpg

MCW50-250.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, it will. There are 2 ram chips in the way of the lines. I have the MCW50 on my 9700P. I did'nt swap the sinks because of that. You might have to add elbow fittings to go around the sinks if you want to use that block.

Check this pic. If your ramsinks are taller than the tweak monster sinks, you'll have to bend the lines somwhat. Meaning the block will have poor contact on the gpu. If you tighten the screws too much you'll crack the pcb and kill your card.

If the sinks you have are shorter, you might have a chance.

The pic from swiftech uses 3/8ID tubing so if you are using 1/2ID tubing the space will be alot less than what the pic shows...

I have the same ramsinks as shown in the pic with 1/2ID tubing and its a very tight fit... I think have aoubt 2-3mm clearance between the tubing and the ramsinks

I have the same GPU block, and the same ram sinks as shown in the first pick of this thread. I ended up cutting them off to about half height in order to provide clearance for my 1/2 ID tubing.

Honestly, I found no difference in memory ram overclock after installing them. Complete waste of time and money IMHO.

Oh, too bad. You'll have to either pop those ram sinks off or find another way to mount your block.

I read somewhere about putting your card in the freezer and then the glue loosens. Do a search on that before attempting. My memory could be wrong.

Be very careful taking those ramsinks off!

The BGA memory is very easy to damage. As a matter of fact, my memory separated from the board before the glue gave out.

You could try trimming the tops of the sinks off. Maybe coat them with something first to prevent chipping, then carefully go at them with a dremel.

thanks, but i would not cut the sinks. It is glued with AS epoxy and when you try tu cut a HS with a dremel its get extremely hot....
maybe anothe one.
Shoukd anyone tried polaflo ?

wrap it up nioce and tight to prevent formation of frosts on ur card. stick it in the freezer for like 5 hours or so and then take it out gently pry a knife in between the sink and the memory. mine came off easy like tat. although i did slip and cut my fingers too.

Back