• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scandisk Problems ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burnt_Ram

hey all, i ran norton to see if i have any disc errors, and i do but windows wont let norton fix them. on my fat32 drive all i have to do is hit the reset switch and it will do a scandisk, but this NTFS drive wont for some reason !!! any other idea's on how i can force windows to do a scandisk ?

go into my computer...right click on the drive u want to fix...go to properties...then click the tools tab and in the error checking section click check now

Sophisticated said:
go into my computer...right click on the drive u want to fix...go to properties...then click the tools tab and in the error checking section click check now
thx man appreciate your help. do you know of any way i can give norton rights to do it. it tells me operating system has exclusive rights ? i would prefer to use norton if possible !

Another Alternative

Another idea is (if you are running Windows XP or 2000)

Click on the Start Button and select Run
Type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press Enter
A command prompt will show up. Type "chkdsk /f" (minus quotes)
It will prompt to run chkdisk on startup next time. Type "y" (minus quotes again) and press Enter
Restart the computer and watch it scan your disk.

Windows XP will automatically run this utility if it sees the hard drive is causing problems, so normally you do not need to do this manually.

Back