• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok... im lost... can some one take me by the hand and...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beam_663rd

Registered
get me out of this... :)
Here's my mis-understanding/problem: I built this pc. I o/c the thing but now I'm wondering if I bought the wrong memory. Here are the facts.... Intell 3.0c... o/c to 3.67 at the moment. Asus P4P800 m/b with FSB o/c to 245 = (4 x 245) = FSB 980.... and now my question.... I can not seem to get this system stable much above 245... even setting the cpu to 1.75 v. It is my understanding that you don't want to really go over that amount... right? Well I bought Mushkin 3500 level one 2 x 512 memory. I'm running at 5:4 ratio so the memory is running at what... 2 x 196 = 392... but 3500 is rated for 433.... I can not get the FSB to run that high... so.... did I waste $$$ on the 3500... should I of bought the 3200? Is there a way to up the memory to 433... or at least close to that point without upping the FSB? And last but not least... should I just up the ratio to 1:1 and lower the FSB to what... 217? As you can see... I guess I know enough to be dangerous so if you hear a small explosion.... disregard this question and call 911!

I have the SP-94 thermalright with a 92x92 Panaflo fan and ceramique by arctic silver. The case is Antec p160 with Panaflo 120 fan and the Antec fan on the front cooling the WD 36 raptors and Antec 550 power supply.

okay... sorry for ignorance... Vdimm is what.... DDR Voltage? The those volts are 2.55, 2.65, 2.75 and 2.85. So running at 2.85 is okay? I have an AUTO also but who knows what that means!

aim/results: wanting to hit at least 250MHz for the FSB I had the CPU voltage set to 1.75. Sophisticated thx for the input... I moved the DDR voltage up to max... 2.85. I kept the RATIO the same 5:4 (ddram 320) and locked my AGP/PCI to 66/33 and AGP Volt to 1.5. The PC would load win xp... it has always done that before most of these "tweaks" but never ran to completion the d3mark03. It almost made it through that test this time. So... back to my question.... now that I know that this will not hit 1,000 FSB and my memory will not hit 433 with 5:4 ratio.... did I waste $$$$ on the 3500? Also.... is it better to keep the setting for the FSB up to 980+ or should I go for the 1:1 ratio and overclock to 217 so that the memory will be running at 433 MHz? I've yet to delve into the individual setting for this memory... cas 2 ect... still not sure what im really doing with those....

BTW thx for the input so far... with each entry... I pick up just a little bit more.

well your memory shouldnt be like that so it does sound like you wasted your money..but yeah run it at 1:1 at 217FSB...ALSO whats your rated timmings and what timmings do you have now...

well the Mushkin site says 2-3-3 & 2.5-2.8v. I think settings are auto right now since I'm for the most part lost on what to change them too.... cas# can be either 2, 2.5 or 3, ras# precharge are 4,3,2 ras# delay is same, dram precharge delay can be 8,7,6,5 and burst can be 4,8. then I have dram idle timer infinite, 0t, 8t, 16t, 64t and my favorite... auto! and if that is not enough.... I guess that little man running the memory show... if he does not get enough "idle" time he can grab the ol.. dram "refresh" which are either 15.6us, 7.8us, 64uSec, 64t and of course... auto!

she runs in 417 and 1:1.... let me ask something... like I've not asked before.... I see ratio's and looking at bios I "assume" that FSB = 400 and ddr frequency 400 is the 1:1 rato that is being talked about.... and that 400 fsb and ddr freq of 320 is 5:4 ratio... is that right? From all that I have read so far.... everyone "assumes" everyone knows what figures are coming from where to get these ratios.... or I missed it.. which is totally possible. In any event.... with 1:1 I guess I can try to up the FSB as far as she will go the most out of this pc without locking up?

comfusing with what u just said. 1:1 = 400 5:4 = 320....has nothing to do with the FSB..only to do with what freq. the memory is running...with abit boards they display them as 1:1 5:4 only...Asus is more detailed...

yea... I guess in a confusing way that is what im asking/saying. In the ASUS bios I see not "dividers or ratios... I do see FSB settings for 400, 333... and in the DDR Frequency I see 400, 320... so thinking if the FSB is set to 400 and DDR Frequency is set to 400 that would be 1:1 and if fsb 400 and ddr freq is 320 that would be 5:4.... so you just confirmed what I thought. FYI... I don't always write out everything into such detail but not only is this for me but all other "lost" people, so that they will know where I'm drawing these figures from... :) right now I'm running at 1:1 with cpu o/c to 3.37 and fsb at 900 and memory running at 450MHz. Getting ready to run 3dmark03 on it to see if it will kick me out to the desk top. In your opition... is this better than say 1:1 FSB 417 so that my memory will be running at 433 and cpu running slower? And confirming... you definitely think it is better than my 5:4 divider settings?

hmmmm.... interesting... so why would anyone o/cing use 5:4? Is it better for me if I o/c in 1:1 as far as I can push the system or just up to what my memory is "rated" 3500 = 433? I find it interesing that I can get my cpu up to about 3.7 and the FSB up to 980 on 5:4 and 1:1 I can get my memory up to 450.... but I can not do both... well... I know I can not do both but it would seem that I would be able to go faster than I do. Any ideas on the memory settings or should I just leave it at spd enabled.... the disable setting on spd brings up the sub menu with the manual settings for each cas value. Oh... BTW.... thx for taking the time to feed me your thoughts! Oh.... I had my system up and passed the 3dmark03 in 1:1 fsb = 900 and cpu = 3.37 and memory = 450 MHz. I backed off those values some since I had to run cpu voltage at 1.75 and memory volts up to max.

your cpu voltage is a little high...about the memory thing....people use 5:4 divider to get more MHz out the processor and also the memory limits the oc in 1:1..but using 5:4 enables the cpu to oc higher than what you can in 1:1...3:2 divider people only use to test the max of their cpu...

thx. So.... even though I had my cpu up to about 3.7 at one point in 5:4 because my memory was running so slow (below 400) it would be better to run 1:1 with about 3.37 and memory at like 450. In other words... the faster I can get my pc to run in 1:1 divider.... the better all around performance.

Beam_663rd said:
thx. So.... even though I had my cpu up to about 3.7 at one point in 5:4 because my memory was running so slow (below 400) it would be better to run 1:1 with about 3.37 and memory at like 450. In other words... the faster I can get my pc to run in 1:1 divider.... the better all around performance.

Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic, but why don't you just run a benchmark at both setting and see which is higher? You'll learn alot about your system by experimenting; plus, you'll have a definitive answer to your question that doesn't rely on our speculation.

Back