• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you implement POWERNOW on a desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeerHunter

Would'nt it be cool if you could undervolt and under clock the mobile while doing mundane tasks like webbrowsing/word/listening to music etc then when you really need the power everything bumps to your overclokced settings?

Is'nt this what powernow in the mobiles is supposed to do?

BeerHunter said:
Would'nt it be cool if you could undervolt and under clock the mobile while doing mundane tasks like webbrowsing/word/listening to music etc then when you really need the power everything bumps to your overclokced settings?

Is'nt this what powernow in the mobiles is supposed to do?

I'm doing exactly this right now. But on a KT600 mobo.

Welcome, Reagan, did you know that stamasd is one of the first people out there to have implemenetd powernow (on a KT600 mobo though.)

Re: Re: How do you implement POWERNOW on a desktop?

stamasd said:

I'm doing exactly this right now. But on a KT600 mobo.

How did you get that working? I have a KT400 mobo and would like to try it. I downloaded PowerNow from AMD's websited, but since my cpu shows up as unkown its not working...me thinks

c627627 said:
Welcome, Reagan, did you know that stamasd is one of the first people out there to have implemenetd powernow (on a KT600 mobo though.)

good to know. Unfortunatly, as you correctly surmised, I have the nforce2 (NF7-S) so no go...but those KT880 soon to be released by via look interesting. Who knows. XP IMO is a dying platform so i doubt I ever take advantage of it but you never know. Thanks again.

From this thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244237

stamasd said:
1. closed L5, 2nd bridge from the right with pencil

2. cut L8 for 1.5V according to the mobile chart (same as L11 for 1.6V), i.e. C:C:C (see notation on Fab51's page); actually I may have cut the first (from the top) bridge on L8 as well, because CPUMSR shows a default volytage of 1.45V instead.

3. cut L6 for a max multiplier of 19x. Why 19x? It's high enough that you actually never get to use it, and it's very easy to do, the highest multiplier which can be set with just 2 cuts :CCC: - in other words, cut the top and the bottom bridges on L6.

That's it. It just works, on a A7V600 mobo. It's simple enough that I will probably mod the same my other CPU, an unlocked XP2500+. I've began to like changing multis from within the OS, and I don't see any downside to it. For use on the A7V600 I'll probably even leave out the L8 cuts altogether, since I set the Vcore manually in the bios anyway, and the "default" Vcore means nothing. *NOTE* the L8 cuts may be required on other motherboards, if they read it - you don't want to accidentally push 2V in your chip. Also note that cutting bridges on L8 will not change the voltages needed to run the CPU - if before the mod it needed 1.8V to reach 2200 MHz, it will still need the same 1.8V after the mod for the same speed.

For a locked Barton? I dunno, probably the same. The only thing that may be different is the location of the L8 cuts, if you want to set a different default Vcore. IMHO there's no need to do all 5 cuts for L6, I can't imagine a setup where you'd want to use a multiplier higher than 19X on these chips. Unless you push the FSB down to 100MHz of course. :)

Back