• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon Xp 2600+ questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eclipsegsxr

has anyone messed with any overclocking on this chip yet??
I can't seem to find much info on this chip?
I do know it is the Barton core
and did not get the codes off the chip before I installed it..:(
also i have posted my current settings in my signature and ran prime 95 for 8 hours and 24 min with no errors at the current settings..
Do the numbers look ok or am I pushing this chip to much?
I don't want to kill it but just wanted to play around with overclocking it and have been doing alot of reading so that I don't fry my chip.
Also the highest temp i hit during prime95 run was 62 c/143 f
this is with stock cooling so I don't want to push for to much till I get better Cpu cooling other than stock..
thanks for any help
Brad

Your temp may be too high, how is your case cooling, maybe that's why (in addition to not using non-retail cooling).

2024 MHz is below 2.3 GHz average desktop 2600+ Barton can do with adequate cooling and PSU brand.

It's not the chip, it's your other components that are causing you to do well below average...

You would be better off with PC3200 RAM or
your PC2700 RAM and always multiplier unlocked 2100+ B that does 2.3 GHz with non-retail cooling.

I'm running 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan straight through the case and across the cpu in the path.
It also said somthing about quantispeed architecture operates at 1917 MHz on the side of the box the CPU and fan heatsink came packaged in..

Yeah that's default speed of Barton 2600+.

So like I said, you need PC3200 with that locked Barton so you can do better in addition to maybe a better power supply, are you using a cheapo?

You are having some major heat problems though, 62 C for 2 GHz is way to high.

If you want to keep your PC2700 RAM, then you need a multiplier unlocked CPU, like the 2100+ B.

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier, if you can't up the FSB, then you could up the multiplier with the 2100+ B.

as i sit here and just browse the forums I'm running at 43 c on my cpu i only hit 62 c while running prime 95 for 8 hrs and 24 min.
i can up my FSB but my system seems to be stuck on the x11.5 though in my bios i can change to x12.0 but it doesn't seem to register it in CPU-z so i figure it is locked at x11.5 not sure how far a can up my FSB but have had it upto 181.99 mhz..
Just mant to make sure i don't kill it..
I did try th 200 but it was a no go on boot.

Be sure to set autoshutdown tempereture in BIOs if you have that option.

Average PC2700 should go into 180s FSB, but I would watch the temps when overclocking your system.

should i leave my auto shut down set at 95c or bump it down to 85c ? i'm reading alot of different opinoins on max temp..

I have mine at 70, CPU should not go over 65 C max IMHO.

just anothe quick note from what i was told at the time of purchase this is supposed to be a factory 333mhz Fsb cpuamd my ram should easily handle the 333mhz so if that is the case then i have bumped my FSB currenlty up by ony 19 mhz..something seems a bit odd here...

i have the same setup as you and your board wont let you go much higher than 333mhz fsb. i have ddr3500 ram and whenever i go over 333fsb my agp and pci slot frequencies are changed since our boards dont have locked slots. i think my max oc with what i have right now (i have volcano 9 cooling) was about 2395. i think it was like 133x17 or something(i have an unlocked chip and its not barton). listen to everyone when they tell you though, higher fsb = better than higher clock so its a good thing you have a locked chip. but before you buy new ram, buy a new board. the board boasts "kt400 bandwidth" blah blah, but if you drop 3200 or better ram in there it will run at 333mhz and with "the bandwidth of 3200". buy a new board before you buy new ram. and those temps are insane. update the bios. asus has some problems with the temps being off alot so check out all that stuff.

either way right now im stuck at about 13.5x166 oc simply because the board wont take much more.

my temps are around 34-37 mobo, and 44-47 cpu.

i think my chip can take more just like yours should, just get good cooling, a better mobo if you want the most out of the chip, and a good psu. you could hit 2400-2500 maybe. gl :D

Back