• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H2O cooled Mobile Bartons - Report Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerMe

H2O cooled Mobile Bartons...

Hey all,

There are a couple threads floating around about the mobile Bartons and temps. I wanted to know what temps you were all getting with your watercooled O/Cs (clocks and volts).

I'm aware that temps are relative, and we should be more interested in how many more MHz we can squeeze out of our chips, but I don't want to cook my new XP-M2500+. I also know the MBM5 temps are notorious for being incorrect, however I don't think it can be that much off, especially with my bad temps.

Why do I ask this question? I'm blaming myself in setting up my watercooling loop incorrectly. I reseated the block 5 times with my 1st W/C loop, so I revised the loop to put less downward force on the block.

1st try at watercooling loop:

case1.JPG

I was planning to secure the pump, but it didn't want to stay flat. Plus it was hitting the side panel, which probably disturbed the waterblock's seating. I decided to swap the clearflex with more flexible silicon tubing.

2nd try at loop:

Case.JPG

I don't know if BigSmokey is still around these parts, but I used his loop (since we have the same case and basically the same parts). The long T helps for bleeding. The long tubing from the Whitewater outputs are ugly, but helped in keeping the tubing away from the side panel. The Chevette core on it's side is the only way it'll fit in my midtower SLK3700AMB.

I'm currently running 218x12 = 2616MHz @ 1.85V BIOS 21, 49ºC load (socket, MBM5), 30ºC ambient, 25ºC room. Prime stable. A 2nd shrouded 120mm fan would kill a couple degrees, but that's still too high. Something's wrong, since I'm getting spanked by SLK+tornado air combos.

I used to be at 217x12.5 = 2713MHz @ 2.06V BIOS, 50ºC load, P95 stable, but everytime I shoot for that speed again, I get 58ºC load. I can still max out the chip around 2800MHz.

So... OC, volts, temps, and ideas?

Last edited:
My WC does'nt really count cause I use such low rpm 7V fans/blower to make system silent because thats exactly what i got into WCing for not OCing but here ya go anyway.

2605 @ 1.8 43C priming overnight.
Side.jpg

Call me crazy. But don't you think that spending the time, effort and money on watercooling is a waste.
Considering I very easily get my 2500+ at 2.5ghz and 44c under load?

bigbadhenchman said:
Call me crazy. But don't you think that spending the time, effort and money on watercooling is a waste.
You're crazy, and no. ;)

bigbadhenchman said:

LOL. :) If I can figure out what I'm doing retarded, I'll be able to stablize 2.7GHz on my chip again, and maybe push to 2.8GHz. Right now I'm having serious temp issues.

I contemplated posting this thread in the watercooling section to avoid the whole "Watercooling? You're crazy!" thing, but I wasn't sure how many people there had a mobile Barton. ;) Good to hear you're getting 2.5GHz on air!

JerMe said:

LOL. :) If I can figure out what I'm doing retarded, I'll be able to stablize 2.7GHz on my chip again, and maybe push to 2.8GHz. Right now I'm having serious temp issues.

I contemplated posting this thread in the watercooling section to avoid the whole "Watercooling? You're crazy!" thing, but I wasn't sure how many people there had a mobile Barton. ;) Good to hear you're getting 2.5GHz on air!

my temps jumped a good ammount in the past two weeks...

I used to idle at 31c and load never saw 40.

now I idle at about 36c and load sometimes gets to 48c

although, it's insanely hot in San Diego right now too, so my ambient temps are like 34C or something...

bigbadhenchman said:

Nope... I was out about $50 when all was said and done... sold my heatsink and got the radiator for pennies... only really had to buy the pump... I get temps below 40C at all times and I can push as much voltage through there without worrying... I doubt I'd have hit 2.6 with this chip otherwise... it probably netted me 150-200 MHz.

Plus it looks cool.

Back