• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do these settings mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LancerJay

i have an asusp4p800 motherboard with generic pc2700 ram. i'm jus trying to get familiar with my BIOS settings.

this is what i ran into
DRAM Idle Timer (Infinite, 0T, 8T, 16T, 64T, Auto)
DRAM Refresh Rate (15.6uSec, 7.8uSec, 64, 64T)
DRAM Frequency (266, 320, 400)

i don't know what these do. should i change any of these to increase overclocking or performance? i have a 2.4c @ 3.38. looking at cpu-z, i see my ram timings at 3:2, i don't know much about this yet. i always see stuff like "memory timings" and i don't know where that is in my BIOS, i tried looking around for it, but i'm not exactly sure wat to be looking for. any help would be appreciated.

- Jonathan

When you were in your bios on the screen were you have the Idle timer and refresh rates, above them should have been a line talking about, "Configure DRAM timing by SPD" if you set this to manual that will give you the options for relaxing your settings as in the CAS or were you see people talking about 2,2,2,6 or such.
Fars as seeing ram timings at 3:2, this refers to your ram being set for say 320mhz even though it's rated at 400mhz because your FSB is so high.
The refresh rate and idle timer I don't know how to explain right so I leave them for someonel else.

i don't see a CAS or RAS or any of that stuff...unless they aren't abbreviated? i have the latest update for BIOS from asus. any recommendations for what i should set this at?

Back