• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU usage 22%-40% on idle on XP. 18 processes running WTF.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myth

Registered
Lately ive been having a problem with XP. On idle my pc would normally be at 4-7 % usage with 27 processes running. Just recently My cpu usage starts jumping on idle to 20% - 40% and its annoying the hell out of me. I have closed every single program on my taskmanager up to a point that i only had 18 processes running in the background. I left it with 18 procceses running in the background for 30 mins and still the cpu usage was jumpy. I have no idea what could be causing this. I dont have a virus as I have norton 2003 with the lastest defs and must have scanned my pc like 5 times and didnt find anything. Whatever it is thats causing it is not showing up on the taskmanager because ive checked and the only thing thats using alot of cpu is "system idle proccess" but thats normal. I do suspect spyware but then again If I had spyware then wouldnt norton detect it ? and if not where can I get a spyware scanner? someone please help as all my games struggle due to this hidden app eating up my processor. I dont know if its spyware,something from windows update or what but Its getting annoying and i feel helpless someone please help. Thanks in advance. Another thing. I noticed that the priority on my taskmgr.exe is on "high" by default and I cant change it to "normal" priority. Is this normal with the taskmanager?

Ps. Im on a Pentium 4 2.4B 533fsb 512mb ram and this never happened before ,it just started happening about a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Well i Downloaded spybot search and destroy and it found 3 spy bots and removed them but I STILL have the problem. I beginning to think its prob either from a windows update or from a tweak from Tweak XP.

Back