• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston Hyperx pc3200, BH-5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
no...now and day there are CH-5 sticks...it is rare to find stick with even BH-6 which are basically the same as BH-5...in some places you can find KHX pc3000 with BH-6

No, not all KHX3000 is has BH5 chips on it. The more recent modules have CH5 on them. There is still a decent chance of getting BH5 in KHX3000, but the chances are growing thinner by the day. Check out Zipzoomfly if you want a good chance for BH5 chips

As for comparing BH5 KHX3000 to different memory types really depends on the type of system that you are currently using. For an AMD system, KHX3000 with BH5 will be a very good overclocking module, since AMD systems dont typically tax the FSB as much as an Intel system. For an Intel system, you might need to get some BH5 with higher speed ratings (KHX3200 Non-A, Mushkin L2 Black 3500) or some modules with Hynix chips (dont know any off-hand). I dont really jave much experience with modern Intel systems, so someone else might be able to give you a better recommendation for an Intel system.

ya i have an AMD 2500 mobile so that parts good. So is there any way to tell if the pc3000 has BH-5 chips like the A thing on the pc3200 or is the 3200 the only ones that you can tell that easy

just take thew heatspreader on it if it has one off and the will be a code looking line on the chips and look at the ending it will be like BH-x...the x as in 5 or 6 if it is bh-5 or 6

There are two ways to check if your chips are BH5. The first way is to pull off the heatspreaders and check the chips. The term "Winbond BH5: should appear on the chip if it is BH5 (Kingston did remark some BH5 chips, but not many). This will definetly verify what chips you have. The only disadvantage to this method is that removing the heatspreader voids the lifetime warranty. The second way to check for BH5 chips is to set your memory timings to 2-2-2-5 or 2-2-2-6 and try and boot into Windows. If your modules are BH5, you should have no problem booting into Windows. IF the chips arent BH5, then you probably wont be able to boot into Windows. In the off-chance it would actually boot into Windows at those timings, it should soon crash after loading.

EDIT: lol, thats the second time you beat me to the answer Soph :D

i would think because since they were making pc3700 and pc4000 and all that with CH-5 and seeing how CH-5 chips suck people wouldnt really buy the higher rated memory..and started making all their chip CH-5 so everyone is forced to buy...get what im sayin

Posted by Sophisticated:
i would think because since they were making pc3700 and pc4000 and all that with CH-5

This isnt exactly true. THe reason that Winbond ceased manufacturing the BH5 line of memory was due to costs. The CH5 chips are less complex than the BH5 chips, hence they are cheaper to produce. They also produced roughly the same stock results as BH5 (CH5 can usually run at 2-3-2-6, only a small step from the 2-2-2-6 of BH5). All of these factors combined to convince Winbond to cease production of BH5 and start mass-produsction of CH5.

There have been rumors of Winbond coming out with a new BH5-esque modules (code-named BH4). However, there have been no press releases about it, and there really hasnt been any concrete proof. ATM it's just a rumom.

Back