• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible workaround for locked XP's ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goodolamd

Registered
did anybody else catch this on the front page article on notebook overclocking

link
its down at the bottom of the page

from the link above
Q: Will this work for "super locked" CPUs (processors produced after 39th week of 2003)?
Some people say it works for those also and after changing them to mobile they are able to change multiplier by software! This was confirmed by many people now (as of 31th December).

has anybody here tried this yet to see if it really works?

Oh yeah, and it does but only on chipsets with Powernow support, guess what, nForce2 doesn't have it.

So people did it on VIA mobos.

Basically, the method involves modding of the locked chips.

'PowerNow' feature allows voltage and multiplier changes in order to preserve battery life.

So if you have motherboard/chipset/BIOS support for PowerNow which not all boards do, nForce2 does not, you can use this feature on locked desktop CPUs.

You also need to boot into Windows with your locked multiplier and the FSB with which you can boot into Windows but you cannot change the FSB inside Windows, only the multiplier. Ironically, you can change the FSB too inside Windows with nForce2s but they have no PowerNow feature so it's of no use with super locked chips.

So with this so called super unlock method, remembering that MHz Speed = [FSB] x multiplier

FSB can be changed only before you boot into Windows but
multiplier can only be changed after you boot into Windows.

...with limited success so far.

It's not a real unlock at all.

is there an app that tells me if my board supports "PowerOn" feature

i have msi k7t 266 pro ru-2 (6380 ver2.0)

the website dont say anything and i did a forum search in all via chipsets and it returned nothing

is there a tool that identifys if the mboard supports this?

i just found out my mboard is supported :) yes!

ok i have an xp1800+ (palomino multiplier locked)

pc 2100 mem (crucial unbuffered cheapest ram crucial makes) 256 *3

m mboard is 266fsb and dont go over 137fsb as there is a prob with the usb 2.0 interefering with it.

what do u all think i can get out of that proc just by upping the multiplyer

thanks

Here you go tdbone1:

stamasd said:
1. closed L5, 2nd bridge from the right with pencil

2. cut L8 for 1.5V according to the mobile chart (same as L11 for 1.6V), i.e. C:C:C (see notation on Fab51's page); actually I may have cut the first (from the top) bridge on L8 as well, because CPUMSR shows a default volytage of 1.45V instead.

3. cut L6 for a max multiplier of 19x. Why 19x? It's high enough that you actually never get to use it, and it's very easy to do, the highest multiplier which can be set with just 2 cuts :CCC: - in other words, cut the top and the bottom bridges on L6.

That's it. It just works, on a A7V600 mobo. It's simple enough that I will probably mod the same my other CPU, an unlocked XP2500+. I've began to like changing multis from within the OS, and I don't see any downside to it. For use on the A7V600 I'll probably even leave out the L8 cuts altogether, since I set the Vcore manually in the bios anyway, and the "default" Vcore means nothing. *NOTE* the L8 cuts may be required on other motherboards, if they read it - you don't want to accidentally push 2V in your chip. Also note that cutting bridges on L8 will not change the voltages needed to run the CPU - if before the mod it needed 1.8V to reach 2200 MHz, it will still need the same 1.8V after the mod for the same speed.

For a locked Barton? I dunno, probably the same. The only thing that may be different is the location of the L8 cuts, if you want to set a different default Vcore. IMHO there's no need to do all 5 cuts for L6, I can't imagine a setup where you'd want to use a multiplier higher than 19X on these chips. Unless you push the FSB down to 100MHz of course. :)

thnx c627627

nice little howto

i ordored the 2600 barton mobile today and should recieve it soon.

not sure if im gonna do this now but i might

added to favs (bookmarked)

thnx again

tdbone1 said:
i just found out my mboard is supported :) yes!

ok i have an xp1800+ (palomino multiplier locked)

pc 2100 mem (crucial unbuffered cheapest ram crucial makes) 256 *3

m mboard is 266fsb and dont go over 137fsb as there is a prob with the usb 2.0 interefering with it.

what do u all think i can get out of that proc just by upping the multiplyer

thanks
If you have a Pally, you can unlock it by closing the L1s. That's an actual unlock, not a change te multi through software once the OS is loaded unlock. You can probably do the mobile mod on that and use powernow too, if you want (but your board probably does not support voltage scaling on-the-fly, so all you'll get is multi control from within the OS). Modding to a mobile is a workaround that you don't have to do because you can actually unlock your CPU.

Back