• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF-7S Vdimm Bios mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

Has anyone found a custom bios that will allow you increase your memory voltage past 2.9v? I'm hoping that this is available so I don't have to do a hardware mod. My Mushkin is begging for more voltage, it's hindering my overclock.

Thanks!

I doubt there is.
I'm planning on doing a hard mod which isn't so difficult as the vdimm mod for the 8rda+ which I did.

I think the resistors on the board only allow the voltage to hit 2.9. If the hardware can't supply it, a modded bios isn't going to change anything. If it was possible I think someone would have done it already. Start practicing your soldering skills, because a Vmod to your board is probably the only way to get past 2.9.

Recommendations for picking up a good soldering iron (and any other equipment needed often for mods, such as a dremel, multimeter, etc?).

I'd like to put together a little hardware modding kit, but I haven't pieced together what all are necessities for it.

How hard is it to solder something on, truly? I've got a pretty steady hand and use to practice welding quite a bit, but a soldering iron is quite a bit smaller.

It's not hard.
you can check out my vdimm mod on a 8rda+:
DSCN2654.JPG

DSCN2652.JPG

You must have: Solder, Soldering Iron, Multimeter!, a sharp knife is also handy and some pretty thin (not too much) wires.
That's it.

Suma.

Well on the Abit its alot easier than on the Epox.

It is a hardware limitation of the MB. The only way to get around it is to modded it (hardware mod).

Awesome. I've got a little exacto hobby knife on hand, so it looks like I'll just have to pick up a soldering iron.

Have I mentioned just how much I want that tax return to get here so I can get some RAM??? It's killing me having an NF7-S and a mobile 2400 sitting on my shelf and not being able to do jack with it. *sigh*

PerlAddict said:
Awesome. I've got a little exacto hobby knife on hand, so it looks like I'll just have to pick up a soldering iron.

Have I mentioned just how much I want that tax return to get here so I can get some RAM??? It's killing me having an NF7-S and a mobile 2400 sitting on my shelf and not being able to do jack with it. *sigh*

You could send it to me, I can put it to use.

Hehe. Well, if I had the money to just send processors to people, I probably wouldn't be sitting here waiting for some RAM funds.

How about you send me some nice BH-5? :D

I'm probably gonna just buy some cheaper RAM when I get the chance and get the thing at least up and running, and then when the income tax return comes in, buy some BH-5 and take the cheaper ram and stick it in a little rig for the living room so people quit using my computer for Yahoo games ... grrrrr.

Do you have any pics of your custom water cooling around, Fishy?

How about you send me some nice BH-5?
Err umm, no can do.:D

Well a new wrinkle has been thrown my way. It seems that my board wont use solid 2s at all (its not the RAM's fault either).

However it clocks like a SOB. How far does BH5 go in raw Mhz? Will 3.2v get it stable past like 260-270mhz lol!

I know my board will do it. Ive gotten it semi-stable at 255mhz b4 with crap PC4000.

PerlAddict said:
Hehe. Well, if I had the money to just send processors to people, I probably wouldn't be sitting here waiting for some RAM funds.

How about you send me some nice BH-5? :D

I'm probably gonna just buy some cheaper RAM when I get the chance and get the thing at least up and running, and then when the income tax return comes in, buy some BH-5 and take the cheaper ram and stick it in a little rig for the living room so people quit using my computer for Yahoo games ... grrrrr.

Do you have any pics of your custom water cooling around, Fishy?

I didn't want just the CPU, send the MB too silly.

Here is a thread that I never got around to updating. Its all installed now, but my Digital Camera is broken. No more pictures.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=269778

Oh, you wanted the CPU AND the motherboard! Well, in that case, keep an eye on your mailbox. It's in the mail. I promise. No, seriously. I swear. :D :p

That waterblock is seriously cool looking. I got reading about peltiers the other day - planning on hooking one up anytime? And I've never actually seen a pelt system ... how does one usually go about hooking one up, and what do you use to transfer the heat from the other side of the pelt? Big heatsink?

PerlAddict said:
Oh, you wanted the CPU AND the motherboard! Well, in that case, keep an eye on your mailbox. It's in the mail. I promise. No, seriously. I swear. :D :p

That waterblock is seriously cool looking. I got reading about peltiers the other day - planning on hooking one up anytime? And I've never actually seen a pelt system ... how does one usually go about hooking one up, and what do you use to transfer the heat from the other side of the pelt? Big heatsink?

Not anytime soon. You have a cold plate on the CPU side of the pelt, which is the cold side. The cold plate is about 3/8" thick or so. The other side of the pelt is cooled by the water block. Keep the hot side cool, and the cold side stays really cold. Most TECs are rated with a DeltaT, which is the max temp difference between the hot/cold side. Provided the hot side is kept cold. If that makes sense.

Back