• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD launches low power 2100+ mobile XP-M, could it be a Barton?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14770

AMD launches low power mobile XP-M
$100 or so

By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 17 March 2004, 10:47

CHIP FIRM AMD said it has introduced a 2100+ XP-M processor at price of $97 to hardware manufacturers.
It also said that Fujitsy Siemens will introduce thin and light notebooks using the chip, while Twinhead and Tsing Hua Unisplendor will offer machines using the chip in the second half of this year. µ

$100? I hope they mean MSRP since 2400+ is $77, this thing should be cheaper, shouldn't it? I hope it's a Barton and I hope it's available in retail not just in OEM machines.

But its a lower frequency? Its a proven fact that the 2400+XP mobile chips dont OC as well as the 25/2600+.

Why would u want to buy a chip that wont OC as well as its $30+ more expensive cousins?

IMHO I dont think it will be worth it.

Mobile 2400+s don't overclock as much as mobile 2500+s?

There's been a few threads where people said the opposite, please post more info as I plan to purchase a mobile in a few weeks and was going to get a 2400+.

That's nice, really nice, but the big problem will be that it'll most likely be a µPGA chip. µPGA is smaller than the normal Desktop CPUs (OPGA), this it's unuseable on desktop Socket-A Boards.:eek:

c627627 said:
Mobile 2400+s don't overclock as much as mobile 2500+s?

There's been a few threads where people said the opposite, please post more info as I plan to purchase a mobile in a few weeks and was going to get a 2400+.

For $30 more you might get another 100 MHz... maybe... as far as I can tell most of the stable overclocks with the mobiles are topping at 2.6-2.7 with water... and 2.4-2.5 w/ air... I've seen no evidence that 25/2600's are better except for the 0343 2500+'s which seem to be overclocking gods.

2400/2500/2600 are all the same chips just start at different defaults, so close your eyes and click on one and order it. I went with a 2500+ just cuz i had a barton 2500 desktop i liked, and its doing 2.4 with sorry air cooling, i bought 2 others at the same times, all the same steppings and came off the line right after one another and i sold one and its doing 2.5ghz at 1.75vcore, so it just all depends on if you're lucky or not...

I've seen no evidence that 25/2600's are better except for the 0343 2500+'s which seem to be overclocking gods.
according to my observation all 2500 overclock the same, regardless of stepping!!!!!, those on water, it will only depend on block type, pump etc.......

Celemine1Gig said:
That's nice, really nice, but the big problem will be that it'll most likely be a µPGA chip. µPGA is smaller than the normal Desktop CPUs (OPGA), this it's unuseable on desktop Socket-A Boards.:eek:

This is the point I was going to make. AMD has introduced low power chips in the past that are micro-PGA. In other words, too tiny for Socket A.

Now, the other possibility is that it's a normal socket A Tbred (or maybe Thorton or Barton - never know) that is spec'ed to run 1.3v - which is what AMD has referred to as low power before. If that's the case, then we could be looking at a 1.5-6ghz Barton chip or a 1.7ghz Tbred/Thorton running at 1.3v default.

Back