• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a virus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dermen

I have 3 computers networked. 1 laptop with XP, 1 desktop with XP, and 1 desktop with 98SE.

The other day on the laptop I could not use word. I would open it and after about 5 seconds it would come up with the send error report window and it would shut down. I tried reinstalling word, it still happened. I tried repairing windows, it still happened. I had to do a full reinstall to get word working again. Now on my desktop I just tried to use word and the same thing is happening to me. I don't know if its happening on the laptop again or not, I will have to go test it. The desktop computer has AVG anti-virus and the laptop has norton. Both updated frequently.

I'm thinking its a virus because it just happened all of the sudden. And on both computers. Its Word 97 by the way.

EDIT: It is happening on the laptop again. And it was working fine when I reinstalled XP 2 days ago. I tested it before I installed the wireless card.

Last edited:
That seems really odd. One thing I would recommend, is getting a new copy of word. While, it probably is not related to the problem, it couldnt hurt. This dosent really seem like a virus, because I have never heard of a virus that is so selective as to just attack Word. I would recommend sending a email to microsoft tech support about it, or browsing around their forums, to see if anybody else has suffered the same problem. Hope this helps. Later.

..::VOID::..

Office is not cheap. I already bought it once and I'm not buying it again if its just gonna stop working in a few years. And everything else in office works fine except word.

It might not have been working when I reinstalled XP on the laptop because I only left it open for 10-15 seconds. I don't understand why it was working fine last week but now won't. I installed it on the computer with 98SE and it works perfectly on it.

It probably isnt a virus since its an old Office. I searched the net and found people having all kinds of problems with Office 97 on an XP machine but not the problem I am having.

I downloaded all the Office 97 updates from Microsoft and still have the same problem. I guess I can contact MS tech support to see what they say.

I think I found the problem. I never send error reports but I decided I would this time. Then it had a link to stop this from happening again. I went there and it said something like we were unable to determine why HP print driver crashed. We recently got a new printer a few weeks ago. Its connected to the machine with 98SE. So I turned the 98SE machine on and guess what happens. Word works just like it used to on the XP machines.

I have no idea why print drivers make Word crash. But I am begining to not like HP anymore. This is our 3rd HP all-in-one printer. The original broke so they sent us a replacement. It was a newer model too. It arrived broken so we got another one. It makes weird noises sometimes and we think its going to die soon. And now I find out it makes Word crash.

Back