• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to upgrade from 98 cheaply-help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hughhefner

Playboy Wannabee
Hello folks have a problem with a friend and his business.

He has 3 dell machines Running Pentium 700-800 with 256ram.

He would like to upgrade the 3 machines currently running windows 98 to XP.

Problem, cost. We know we can simply buy 3 XP upgrades--but

We were thinking of Buying 2 licenses and and OEM CD with its own license for a total of 3.

I'm not sure whether you can UPGRADE from an OEM CD.

Why buy two upgrades and one OEM? Why not buy 3 upgrades (I think those are the cheaper of the two)? You don't have to have an operating system on the computer to install Windows from an upgrade CD.

Well, since these are 3 machines, all old Dells, I don't think he'd be able to get the OEMs cheaper, as there would be no discount or anything.

Im not sure. There usually is a rather long period where you can trade things in, get discounts, get repairs, etc, etc. Though I will take your word on that.....*goes to look at the Dell website* ahhhhh, it makes my eyes burn, go away go away.

I think that time is three years, standard, for repeat and corporate customers.

Anyway, the point was, why buy 2 of one type and 1 of another, when all three can be the lower price and can be installed without fuss?

Now, is that a pro or home edition?

edit: if its a pro edition, then thats a good price, if its a home edition, that is way to expensive, and I would have to agree w/ JoT, just get 3 upgrades.

Ooohhhh, I see what you're saying. Two licenses, one CD, 3 licenses total.

Well, no matter what version of XP or 98 you have, you can upgrade the systems to XP with little trouble, but a format is suggested.

The OEM cd and licenses were for the XP professional xpalidocious version with service pack 69-B included.

again just wanted to save time and simply try an upgrade, the hard drives are already Fat32.

Other possibility is to cheaply upgrade to Win ME-- not a great possibility but it nevertheless exists.

3 upgrades would cost $500

OEM and 2 licenses $290 ish

Again does anyone know whether you can do an UPGRADE from 98 to SP with an OEM disk without a reformat.

As I said, yes you can upgrade, but a format is recommended for best performance, because as I expect you would know, many old things from 98 aren't removed, so the system will probably be sluggish upon finishing the upgrade.

I'm curious, does the reason for upgrading to XP have anything to do with security?

Not sure why he wants to upgrade to XP whether its security or looking for support with critical updates and such.

The computers are on a network and the other 3 newer systems have XP pro running, my guess is that he wants to have all the systems running the same OS.

He has his other real estate agents connect to his network as well so for simplicity I believe he wants to make the switch.

Back