• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My floppy controller is fried! Reinstalling OS and reformatting HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gastro54

Hey, a loose wire from a mod touched the floppy controller on my mobo and the controller no longer works... If I wanted to flash the bios or use the installation disks, are there any PCI floppy controllers in which bootable floppies would work?
For installing XP the CDROM is bootable right? So that shouldn't be a problem

XP is bootable. Thats not a problem.

You can and should flash the BIOS on the NF7 from windows with Abits Flash Menu.

Get that here --> http://www.abit-usa.com/

The only problem I can see you having is trying to install SATA drivers, if you ever wanted to run your OS off of the SATA channels. Im sure you could find a way to slipstream the drivers into a bootable XP CD.

Thanks for the quick reply, yes I plan to run Raid 0 Raptors soon, so SATA drivers are important

EDIT: Who needs floppies anyways!?

EDIT2: Is it worth installing the OS on the Raid array just for increased bootup speed? I plan to keep the old 80gb WD

Last edited:
gastro54 said:
Thanks for the quick reply, yes I plan to run Raid 0 Raptors soon, so SATA drivers are important

EDIT: Who needs floppies anyways!?

EDIT2: Is it worth installing the OS on the Raid array just for increased bootup speed? I plan to keep the old 80gb WD

There wouldn't be much of a point of RAID 0 without the operating system on there. Unless you do lokks of video editing, and you need to move files quickly.

Well Im not sure how you are to slipstream the SATA drivers into the Windows CD, but that is the step you are going to have to take next, if you plan on running Windows on those Raptors.

{PMS}fishy said:

There wouldn't be much of a point of RAID 0 without the operating system on there. Unless you do lokks of video editing, and you need to move files quickly.

Well Im not sure how you are to slipstream the SATA drivers into the Windows CD, but that is the step you are going to have to take next, if you plan on running Windows on those Raptors.

yup, in order to install the sata drivers, they will need to be on a drive that is labeled a:. i am not sure if you can get a usb floppy and set it up thru bios or not as i have never seen an nf-7's bios, but that *might* be a possible way to get around it... it's a bit expensive (~$30 or more) for a usb floppy, but it might be the only way besides slipstreaming them into the xp install which can get a bit complicated...

just to make sure, are you 100% sure it's dead? floppies can seem dead when it is really just a cable flipped the wrong way... i misdiagnosed one before like that... :rolleyes: i didn't realize it until the new floppy arrived that i ordered (since floppies are so cheap these days)

yes im pretty sure it is dead, i opened up the case and smelled that platicky-burning smell

A boot CD can be done that will emulate a floppy drive. Nero Burning ROM can do it, and other tools also. However, I'm not sure how this integrates with XP setup (2K setup goes fine - I've done that myself).

Back