• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Desktop Client

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killer7

Is it possible to install the remote desktop client on an XP Home CD? I have heard that you can install it by browsing through a XP Pro cd. Is this true?

I searched through a Windows Server 2003 disk for all .exe files and didn't find anything. Anyone know what the name of the file is called?

Why not just use a VNC client/server? They are free, easy to setup and are not resource hogs.

nikhsub1 said:
Why not just use a VNC client/server? They are free, easy to setup and are not resource hogs.

I should have noted that I have been using VNC for quite some time now. I like it OK, but there are some features that are just not as good as the built in one for Windows. The worst is the fact that I have 1600x1200 resolution and the computers I terminal in from are like 800x600, so lots of scrolling. Also, VNC doesn't use any type of encryption.

killer7 said:

I should have noted that I have been using VNC for quite some time now. I like it OK, but there are some features that are just not as good as the built in one for Windows. The worst is the fact that I have 1600x1200 resolution and the computers I terminal in from are like 800x600, so lots of scrolling. Also, VNC doesn't use any type of encryption.
You may want to look into Ultr@VNC. I've been using it for a few months now, and must say it's probably the best VNC out there. They've taken the good features from all the VNCs, and added in a few of their own.

It supports auto-scaling (shrinks the entire view to fit the screen you're currently using) and manual scaling (you can set the scale yourself, which would be handy for you since a 1600x1200 screen will most likely NOT be legible @ 800x600, so you may want to manually set it to scale it down to 1024x768 for better readability at the expense of some scrolling). It supports a video hook driver, which allows lowered CPU usage on the host machine, as well as increased framerates (especially over a LAN). It also supports the use of plugins, with the only one created so far being an encryption plugin (with 40, 56, and 128-bit encryption) :)

JigPu

Back