• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastes possible memory speeds...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChiefScout

Ok I'm going to try to hit a 600mhz FSB with an AMDXP.....what would be the fastest memory.....BH-5 such as Mushkin Black Lev. 2 Perf....or would some OCZ EL PC4200....with some more voltage and cooling?

what do you think? and please, no criticizm about it being impossible

ChiefScout said:
Ok I'm going to try to hit a 600mhz FSB with an AMDXP.....

300mhz fsb*

ChiefScout said:
.....what would be the fastest memory.....

-depends on how you define "fast." the ocz will win unbuffered memory test and have the highest clockspeed however the bh5 will win every real world test.

just a matter of how much you care about performance vs mhz. (tighter timings on the bh5 make it faster at lower clockspeeds than pc4200 ram)

^^Agreed. And OCZ is a hit or miss company. So it could take you a couple of trys just to get good memory modules.

tryin to run 300 fsb is possible but not easy. first u have to find a cpu capable, probably a 2.4c. then u have to find memory that will run either 250 5/4, with tight timings, which would probabbly be bh5/6. you would need a lucky set and LOTS of voltage. Or get a set of the pc4000/4200/4400 and hope u get real lucky and get a set capable of 300 1-1

Proof? Proof is in the hundreds of posts on this forum, on Xtremesystems.org, on Hardforums, and on dozens of other forums where many many people have purchased OCZ and Corsair and found mixed results.

They basically always do what they're rated for, but outside of that, it really is hit-or-miss. Nobody has been able to show that their OCZ or Corsair will overclock by any consistant amount. Some will go right up to their rating and not do 5mhz over; others will go right past their rating to speeds of 30+mhz or faster.

For the moment, everyone who has puchased the Komusa PC4200 ADATA parts has consistantly found they perform at PC4500 or better unless limited by CPU or motherboard. That doesn't mean they'll do 300 at 1:1 on the first set, but it's likely you could find a set that will do 295 1:1 without too much trouble.

Albuquerque said:
Proof? Proof is in the hundreds of posts on this forum, on Xtremesystems.org, on Hardforums, and on dozens of other forums where many many people have purchased OCZ and Corsair and found mixed results.

They basically always do what they're rated for, but outside of that, it really is hit-or-miss. Nobody has been able to show that their OCZ or Corsair will overclock by any consistant amount. Some will go right up to their rating and not do 5mhz over; others will go right past their rating to speeds of 30+mhz or faster.

For the moment, everyone who has puchased the Komusa PC4200 ADATA parts has consistantly found they perform at PC4500 or better unless limited by CPU or motherboard. That doesn't mean they'll do 300 at 1:1 on the first set, but it's likely you could find a set that will do 295 1:1 without too much trouble.

i have komusa hyperram ,and i have to admit the stuff runs like a bat out of hell, and it seems that just about everyone who has it (pc4200) is very very pleased with the price and speed. my ram actually outruns my 2.4c

Sophisticated said:

/restrains self from flat out flaming

What in GODS name does that have to do with your post that said Corsairs is hit or miss?

As for the Komusa stuff (just ADATA) that is OOOOOLD news. The ADATA I had back in the day did the same speeds as the crap your all jizing over........big woopie.

Also you can buy what ever ram you like and there is always the chance it won't work as you like. But this is more often that not actually a problem with the memory (from any company). Motherboards are not all alike and some run better than others......where some just suck. I've tested 4 identical boards and seen overclocking abilities change by upto 15%. Now if you run into a problem with your brand X ram you want someone there to fix it for you. Both OCZ and Corsairs have forums setup where you can get help and fast. I had a problem with my ocz pc3700el gold when I first got it. I emailed OCZ and by the end of the day had sent back and forth a few emails and got an RMA # that day. But I held off sending them back till I could test them in another motherboard.......and go figure they OC'd 60Mhz higher in the new one.

Once again show me some proof.

@Albuquerque

Show me some of these 100's of posts you speak of. If you start bringing up the old OCZ stuff.......well just don't bother

Steve

mrspec3 said:

As for the Komusa stuff (just ADATA) that is OOOOOLD news. The ADATA I had back in the day did the same speeds as the crap your all jizing over........big woopie.

Steve
Ocz is a damn good company, they make great memory,with probably best support in the business. likewise the speed binned adata pc4000 sold as pc4200 by komusa is not crap.although they cant compete with ocz in resources and support,they are a good little company that provides fast pc4200 for very reasonable prices. secondly you probably know this better than me, all the chips that make up the corsair adata ocz etc. pc4200/4400 are basically the same, with a few revisions here and there. the rest comes down performance price and support..

mrspec3 said:

Since they've only been making this stuff for about 3-5 months, I hardly doubt the "back in the day" and "old news" are qualified statements here.
mrspec3 said:

Show me some of these 100's of posts you speak of. If you start bringing up the old OCZ stuff.......well just don't bother

/me stretches...
Well, let's have a look shall we?
OCForums: Corsair Fails SPD Rating - No Overclock
OCForums: Corsair found to be problem in ailing machine
OCForums: Corsair PC3500 isn't even hitting the rated 217FSB on loose timings and voltmodded NF7-S
XS.org: Corsair BH5 stopping at 220 on 3.3v and loose timings

None of these are more than a month old; OCZ is just as easy to find but pasting them all here is worthless. That doesn't mean that Corsair is bad, it just means it's never guaranteed -- it is DEFINATELY hit or miss on the overclocking capacity.

mrspec3 said:

Show proof if your going to make a statement like that

*restarines my self even more aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh* lol...wow take it easy your gonna pop a vein...u remember that that wus be4 u said sho u proof of the corsair mr forgetful....and my other pal just explained somethin to you which should of made u feel crunchy hahaha j/p....dont get mad..its just memory

Sophisticated said:

*restarines my self even more aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh* lol...wow take it easy your gonna pop a vein...u remember that that wus be4 u said sho u proof of the corsair mr forgetful....and my other pal just explained somethin to you which should of made u feel crunchy hahaha j/p....dont get mad..its just memory

I have to agree with you. Back in the day everything from Corsair was great. The Value line was amazing. But now the Value line is hit or miss. Some will run amazing but some will just do rated. It's like Kingston's Value ram. For a while they have BH5/6 then it was crap again.

Back to the thread. For 300(600DDR) FSB your gonna need a DFI board, hacked bios, VDD Voltmod, and probably water cool the Northbridge.Chip that's unlocked. BH-6 with a heck of a lot volts going through it might get you 300FSB. Considering I've seen a fair amount of ppl get 270FSB on DFI boards with slight mods, it's not all that impossible.

I would love to see an AMD64 rig hit 300fsb; that's exactly what Maxvla did when he ran his Komusa 301fsb at 1:1 and I'm sure it was a screaming machine!

I still don't think you'll get an easy job finding 300 1:1 dual-channel sticks, but I still wish ya luck!

the swiftech 159 is a great aftermaket cooler for the nb.. i have 1 and it really keeps my nb cool. but it isnt cheap..... hey alb. check my reply in the komusa thread... hehehehe

Back