• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a healthy Memory voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Choo

Registered
I have 512MB(2x256 dual channel) Corsair XMS 3200C2 memory running 216fsb on my Nf7-S. It runs stable at 2.9V in bios with my hardware monitor showing 3.06+ volts. It runs prime95 for hours, but I just don't know if this is too much voltage for the ram.
With memory prices as they are I really don't want to kill my ram.
Please anyone who is running this memory or similar tell me what you are running at and if you've noticed any ill affects from running a voltage this high.
Thanks

If its BH5 you can take it even higher. The safe setting is the least amount of voltage that you need to run at the speeds that you want.

I would not be to worried about running 3v. I have run 3.2v into most of my ram.

Yeah I figured I have seen others that were pretty high, but none with this memory. Unfortunately it is not BH5. Its the 6-3-3-2 XMS. I have it running 11-3-3-2.now at 214
Not the most stable yet, but it was at 3.0V so I will put it back there for a while.
Besides I should be getting my 2500 Mobile tomorrow:)
Thanks for the quick reply!

I have had my Corsair PC3200C2 rev1.2 (CH5) running at 2.85V for the past 8 months. With a side fan in my case, the RAM is cool to the touch. I have notice no ill effects at all.

Choo said:
Yeah I figured I have seen others that were pretty high, but none with this memory. Unfortunately it is not BH5. Its the 6-3-3-2 XMS. I have it running 11-3-3-2.now at 214
Not the most stable yet, but it was at 3.0V so I will put it back there for a while.
Besides I should be getting my 2500 Mobile tomorrow:)
Thanks for the quick reply!

What are the chips?

JKeefe said:
I have had my Corsair PC3200C2 rev1.2 (CH5) running at 2.85V for the past 8 months. With a side fan in my case, the RAM is cool to the touch. I have notice no ill effects at all.

As CH5 has voltage regulators in the DIMMs there really is no point in running the voltage that high. Chances are you can damage that memory. I think 2.7v or so is the maxium reccomended for that stuff.

{PMS}fishy said:
As CH5 has voltage regulators in the DIMMs there really is no point in running the voltage that high. Chances are you can damage that memory. I think 2.7v or so is the maxium reccomended for that stuff.
Corsair lists 2.75V as the nominal voltage on their website.

Got a link about CH5 and voltage regulation? That's news to me.

JKeefe said:
Corsair lists 2.75V as the nominal voltage on their website.

Got a link about CH5 and voltage regulation? That's news to me.

I can't find the link anymore. I was also told the same thing by a Mushkin Tech. There is a very good chance that I am confusing CH5 with something else.

Are we sure the cosair is CH5?

Yes, it's CH5. And yes, there's a voltage regulator that's associated with CH5 ICs that doesn't allow excessive voltage to be run to the DIMMs. Don't quote me on this but I'm almost positive it regulates the voltage to 2.6v.

~THT

Yes, Corsair PC3200C2 rev1.2 is known to be CH5. I'm still very curious as to the voltage regulation, as even the RAMGuy over at the Corsair forums tells people to run this RAM at 2.7 or 2.75V.

Back