• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to overclock NF7 2.0 and AMD XP 2000+...Newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkaram

I am very new at overclocking, trying to avoid frying my system. I have the following configuration:

Abit NF7 2.0
Athlon XP 2000+ Standard Heatsink and fan from retail AMD CPU
2 256MB DDR PC2100 running in dual channel mode
64MB MX440 nVidia video card.
80GB 7200PRM Maxtor 2MB cache

Current temperatures and settings:
Vcore: 1.6
DDRV: 2.64
V: 3.23
System temp: 80.6 F
CPU Temp: 101.3 F

I know I have low end components in this system, but I am trying to eek out as much as I can from this configuration.

What would be the recommended overclocking settings based on my config? I have combed the web looking for detailed info, but I am a little leary messing with the voltage settings, FSB, etc.

I ran Aquamark 03, and had a dismal 4030 score...pretty pathetic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Your chip is running at 38.5C; is that idle or under a full load? I'm *gussing* that it's running 10 degrees (celcius) hotter when it's at full load (if it is indeed 38.5C idle.) In which case I personally wouldn't try to OC it at all. Just under 50C (fully loaded) is what I'm willing to go. Somebody want to mention what these die at? I'm thinking it is 70C (158F) but I'm not sure.

If you chip is locked I believe you can only change FSB and not the multiplier. Well, you can change the multiplier but it won't actually do anything. (I might have it backwards but I'm fairly sure I don't.) If this is the case, you're going to need faster RAM in addition to better cooling before overclocking. (And even if your chip is unlocked I still suggest faster RAM and better cooling if you want to OC it.)

The temp is at idle, no load. I am planning on getting faster RAM and now a better fan. Once I upgrade these, then it would be safe to overclock? Is the XP 2000+ chip a good chip to overclock or am i flirting with disaster?

Thanks again

I know I have low end components in this system, but I am trying to eek out as much as I can from this configuration.
Lol! arent we all. People have varying opinions of what is *low end* these days.:cool: Ur sig is just fine!

What would be the recommended overclocking settings based on my config? I have combed the web looking for detailed info, but I am a little leary messing with the voltage settings, FSB, etc.

I ran Aquamark 03, and had a dismal 4030 score...pretty pathetic.
^^ Dont be so hard on urself. That score is just fine with ur config. Especially with an MX400.

Depending on your CPU you will have 2 paths to upgrade.
1st: If your CPU unlocked then I would reccomend you upgrade you videocard to a 9600XT

2nd: If its locked I would look into getting better RAM

Both should cost aproxamatly the same amount.

Finding out if ur CPU is unlocked is very easy. Simply change its multiplier. If you need help or a step-by-step Id be glad to help.

Now if your PC will boot with a different multiplier then Id go ahead and raise it to the max.

Ur bus speed is natively 133mhz with PC2100 RAM. So....

133 x 17 = aprox 2.2ghz should be very feesable with an unlocked chip.

Let us know how it goes

well.......

I changed my multiplier but it did not change the speed of the CPU...still at 1666Mhz.

I assume I shouldn't touch the external clock speed. I increased it from 133 to 134 and it did increase the cpu speed to 1675 and the RAM from 266 to 268....but I immediately switched it back to the default setting of 133 because I only like fried chicken, not fried motherboards :)

So is it safe to assume that my XP 2000+ is locked and I am screwed :( ????

Thanks

No, you are not by any means done here, partner :) Your just getting started.

You may adjust your fsb setting probly somewhere near 166mhz range without changing your temps much. Start SLOW, watch your temps! As noted above, dont let it run any hotter than 50c at load. Now, move your fsb up 3-5 at a time (with your temps, dont change your VCore setting). Just try to squeeze every last Mhz out of your fsb without changing the VCore.

Also, make sure that you set your ram from AUTO to whatever you need to keep it running near 133. That ram probly wont OC much, but you can change the DDR voltage as much as you like with no adverse effects. Go ahead, set it at 2.8v.

So is it safe to assume that my XP 2000+ is locked and I am screwed ????
Nah d00d ur gonna be fine. I would however, download Memtest86. This proggie will show you when your RAM craps out. It is entirely possibly that you will be able to get to 166mhz on the bus by using the right timings and voltage.

When you OC the FSB it takes the RAM with it, Unless you use a dividor to run your ram outta synch. The RAM increase will not hurt anything. Only voltage has the potential to damage equipment.

Just use memtest86 for now. Pump the FSB till it show errors. If it passes a the entire test once bump it up again.

However if it fails you either need to increase the latency or voltage. Its very simple to do both. I would use voltage first, then latency.

As for the voltage I would go ahead and use either 1.65 or 1.70 for the CPU right away. Then after a couple memtest86 passes (increasing the bus atleast 5mhz per pass) I would increase the RAM voltage till it maxes out.

That should give you 166mhz. If it dosnt then you may want to look into new RAM. However you would benefit far more from a new video card than RAM.

Games depend far more on the videocard than the rest of the system.

If I were you I would begin to start looking for a new videocard now. If ur on a budget the 9600XT will cost about $120-150. For performance a 9800 will cost roughly $190-220.

Good Luck. If you need help feel free to PM me.

-Sen :cool:

also bro....
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
...and the sickness :eek:

Last edited:
Back