• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing and Xerox memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thc_ltd

Registered
Just a couple questions about Xerox memory, since I cant find anything about them on-line, and memory in general. Before I proceed let me say that Im in the process of saving for either Kingston or Corsair memory and Im a tech so when systems come back dead I yank the working stuff out and keep it, hence the Xerox memory. Heres my set-up:

Asus p4p800S (Single-channel dimm)
P4 3.0C 800mhz fsb <-- also free from work, killer score
Either 2/512mb Xerox DDR333 PC2700 = 1gb pc2700
or 1/512 Xerox DDR400 PC3200 = 512mb pc3200

Which brings up my first question. If Im OCing, am I better off with 512 of 3200 or 1gb of 2700? I think Im better off with the 512/3200 but would like some input. Also, does anyone know about xerox ram? How will it handle OCing? I have my dimm voltage set to 2.75 now and ran Prime95 with the heavy on ram setting for about half a day and had no problems.

Also, do I even really need 1gb of memory? I know it would be good but for instance, I have a lot of ram Ive pulled from machines and I could trade it in next time the tech show comes around for 1 512mb module of really good Kingston or Corsair memory and not have to pay anything for it, but to by another 512 of the same thing would cost over 200 dollars. Would I notice a significant difference from another 512mb of ram? Any input on this subject would be cool. Thanks.

Last edited:
Does that Xerox memory have any markings on the chips? That might give you some idea of what you're working with. They might have some really good chips and you could be sitting on a gold mine! Whether you need a gig vs 512, what you do with your rig would play a big part. For most everyday use, 512 would probably be enough. The guys that game seem to like a gig and for working with video you would want at least a gig of ram (better if with fast timings). For overclocking a 3.0, you need something that will get to the 230 - 240 range. First choice, in my opinion, would probably be something with Winbond BH-5, if you could find it, or BH-6. Unless you get REAL lucky, I don't think you're going to find too many sticks of PC2700 that are going to get you to the 230 plus range and fast timings. I think you need to plan on PC3200 and go from there. You could go with some Hynix BT-D43 (2 x 256) and get up to those speeds since they will go to 250 plus, but with looser timings. If you can trade some of the sticks you've pulled and get some Kingston or Corsair, try to get a couple of 256 sticks instead of a 512 and see where they get you before you go buy anymore. Post the Xerox chips info and some of the guys might recognize them.

Unfortunatly I put heat spreaders on the 2/512 pc2700 and the 512 pc3200 came with one on it so I cant see the chips. Does someone know of an app that gives the specifics of the chips? I have things like CPU-Z and SIS Sandra but neither tell me about the actual chips on the module. Id really like to know if I have a diamond in the rough here since I can pull these out of systems from work quite frequently and if its not that much worse the really good ram Ill just save my money and use it for something else.

I guess if worse comes to worse Ill just try to OC it and try to put like 2.75-2.85 voltage through it and adjust the timings kinda low then then see what the settings are when it starts giving me trouble. Then Ill benchmark it and put scores up here and maybe people with different types of ram can compare scores with me. But Id still rather just get an app that tells me everything. Thanks for any help.

I don't know of anything that you can run that will give you info on the chip make and stuff. You got to do what you said, just start tweaking each stick, one at a time and see what you get. The truth is, other than to brag that you've got this brand or that brand, its performance that counts and only on your rig. What works really good in mine may crap out in yours because of some conflict somewhere. Give your stuff a go and post your results. It helps out everyone.

Hey I have those same chips except mine dont have covers.

2/512mb Xerox DDR333 PC2700

Here's what mine say on the chip:

infineon
HYB2502568008T-6
0318 B

Back