• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Antistatic Precautions Do You Take When Changing Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fac_29

Just wondering, out of interest, what antistatic precautions do you guys take when changing your Ram(or any PC component for that matter).

I've worked on many old systems and just used the old "Hold On To The Case" trick and never had any problems. I'm a bit cautious with this new system i bought thou, so i'm thinking its time i invested in an Antistatic wrist strap, especially seeing as i'm going to be making a few upgrades over the next few weeks.

I must say thou, i've seen some ppl being ridiculously careless with their systems/components regarding static and yet they've never had any problems. To me, it aint worth that risk...

In my Opinion, Static stips are great for when you are working on rack servers or machines that are running at the time. Other than that, grabbing the case or touching the PSU Case to ground yourself is sufficient. Although static straps are inexpensive.

When i open up my case i touch the PSU and the case and i work on carpet and hae never had a problem,i try to touch the case as often as possable just to make sure nothing happens.

I just use the case, however I have had 2 scary moments where my heart fell thru the floor. Holding Ram sticks (expensive sticks) and feeling that discharge can be a shock most certainly.:eek:

we had a staic electric meter 1 time at work and you would be shocked at how many volts (200+)run thru your body especially in the winter. plus it rarely just kills something, but usually weakens it, making i unstable..

run thru your body especially in the winter. plus it rarely just kills something, but usually weakens it, making i unstable..

Jup, thats what killed my NF7. Damn shame... :cry:

Thats why I always wear a guard

I'm the guy that leaves thing laying around in the open for weeks on end. Sometimes I just grab stuff, sometimes I touch a case. Sometimes I slide around the house in my socks while holding parts....lol. I think a duron got damaged once after a year on the shelf without a static bag, but I'm not sure because the core had a small break in a corner too. Then again, it worked before that upgrade...hmm.

I'm careless at home and work, but then again we have high humidity here, so static is rare. On dry days I'm more careful I guess.

tekOC said:
I dont do anything, I just use my hands. And for 2-3yrs now no problems.

:rolleyes:

Yep. I live in ohio, and I havent had any issues with static frying anything. Hell, my TnT2 went thru hell and never got fried :D Ive thrown a P100 out in the snow, stuck it in the freezer, and got it wet and I couldnt kill that thing. one hell of a chip it was. memory on the other hand... I DID however fry one stick of EDO but I think it was defective when I got it.. LOL Only detected 1/2 of what was tehre sometimes.. and then sometimes DOUBLE :eek: Needless to say, its a keychain now, and has been for about a year or so.

Each individual person builds static electricity different, I'm one of those that is constantly getting zapped. I use a grounded wriststrap anytime I'm inside the computer. This leaves both hands free. It is a good $5 investment.

tekOC said:
I dont do anything, I just use my hands. And for 2-3yrs now no problems.

:rolleyes:

Same. I never lost a part to static. Until I do, I will probably just not take any precautions whatsoever like I do now.

Matt

i touch the heating thingy on the wall.

If you touch the PSU case, doesnt your power cord still have to be connected?

and where would one tie up the wrist strap?

The antistatic bracelets I have seen you just put on your wrist like a bracelet and clip a little thing on the side of the case

As for me, I just touch the case the whole time. Next order from newegg I will probably get a antistatic bracelet though

I live in Texas, I just throw all my components in the sand in the desert with just shorts on to reduce electric conduction.

Jognt said:
if you touch the PSU case, doesnt your power cord still have to be connected?

yeah that what i like to know, i always flick the switch off at the back of the powers supply, but i never remove the plug from it.
i just touch the case with my foot since my case is on the floor while im rubbing my *** on the carpet to get under my desk.

Back