• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help 15% bandwidth efficency!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bullion

Registered
Hi all, ive got a query. I have a compaq presario 2500 notebook The processor is a celeron. Any way i get a memory bandwidth efficiency of around 15% in sisoft, The chipset is the ati rs200, that has a theoretical peak bandwidth of 3200mbs, yet im getting a max of 500mbs, what could be causeing these horrible scores and performance. If anyone knows any hacks that i can use to get to more advanced bios options id be very greatful.

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian,

Check your PC for any viruses or rogue programs which are taking up a lot of memory by opening the task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and looking under processes.

Laptop?

Power saving modes are killing you. Plug it into a wall, set the Windows power scheme to "Always On", and then go into the little specific applets that likely came with your laptop and turn off any additional power saving modes.

Your machine is likely sitting in a lower power state, which is fine for many things but worthless for benchmarking.

the laptop has a clean install of XP, no "helper" applications are running, im moreso after tinkering with ram timings.

You won't be able to find ram timings in the bios. In fact the only way to change RAM timings if your lucky with these OEM Laptops is to get an image of the BIOS and change it from there and flash it again.

A fresh install of Windows XP will still have power schemes installed... And unlike ALL previous versions of Windows, XP can actually self-utilize the power saving features of basically all current Intel (SpeedStep and SpeedStep II), AMD (PowerNow), IBM, C3 and some other damned thing as well.

Just because you loaded no helper apps doesn't mean it's not powersaving and turning down the bus speed. Trust me :)

Back