• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a new bios chip in order?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Well, this is what I did...

I wanted to try the new bios for the 8RDA+. I went into the bios and loaded the fail-safe settings. Then the comp wouldn't boot properly. I hold down insert and everything boots up fine, though reset. Whenever I change something in the bios it would keep giving me the 02 error.

Anyway, since the default setting boots floppy first, I was able to load the flash program. However, when I loaded the .bin file, it said unsupported file. I didn't know what was wrong with it, but I reset and planned to format the floppy and put the files on it again. Then I saw the ALT-F2 option as it was POSTing and figured I'll try it. So, the comp resets again and boots from the floppy. But the .bin is still read as unsupported so I reset, but every time I reset it's always asking for the floppy. Now I figured if I clear the CMOS, it would stop asking, so I did that. Now every time I boot I get a CF error.

So basically I'd like to know if I get a new bios chip, would the board work or did I break something else when I cleared the CMOS? The reseller's warranty on this board expired back in January, so I'd probably have to send it to Epox if something else is broken.

Thanks
Tipycol

Thanks for the link Cuda, I got the board booting up now. Now I have the problem of it not flashing a new bios and the LED reading 16, and I'm not sure what I can do (doing this even with the DrDos formatted to the floppy and switching between the 3 most recent bios, the status bar doesn't budge 1 rectangle). I'll try another using another cpu tomorrow, as it's getting late and I don't want to mess it up any more.

Sorry I missed your post. Make sure you have the .bin and other files on the floppy seperately, not as one. In other words, the .exe, the .bin etc.. also make sure you unhook EVERYTHING. That can be so important I can't stress it enough.

Well this is interesting....it's working fine now :D

I don't know why, but I just turned it on and it flashed fine, didn't change any files on the disk or anything, same exact setup as the other night, and it booted up and flashed the bios. Interesting thing is that the disk had no boot files on it, only the things from the epox .exe bios file (which was also the first format I tried before more researching). I just don't get it, how can it not work one night then work fine the next.

Thanks for the help Cuda
Tipycol

Back