• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing winXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artyboy

I just tried installing winxp on my new SATA drive and it didn't quite work. After I put in the code it said that the hard drive wasn't detected. I was trying to install a full version of XP over ME so I formated the hd and I still got the same error when I tried installing winXP again. It also wasn't detecting the hd in the bios. Now I'm reinstalling windows ME and it's going fine. My hard drive is an 80 gig Seagate SATA drive. Is it the drive or am I doing something wrong when I try to install XP?

You might have to boot to the install CD and load the drivers for your SATA for the drive to decect correctly. When it first starts to load is should say hit one of the function keys, i forget witch one it is mabay F6, but that will take you to a place where you can load drivers for it for the install, i know that you have to do this with windows 2k, should be the same for XP.

It tells me to hit f6 to install raid or scsi drivers. It doesn't say anything about SATA. I'll give it a shot, though

This is the error that I'm getting.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllerws. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart youri computer. Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xf898963C, 0XC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Back