• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd 8RDA+ problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McTimson

I've had my 8RDA+ for a while now, and love it. I had 768MB PC2700 RAM in it and a 1800+ TbredB, running at 12x190. It was working fine, but I wanted to get above 200FSB, but my RAM wouldn't allow it. So I got some PC3200 RAM, generic stuff, but it was a good deal in the classifieds, so I picked it up. Now before, it ran at 190FSB at a 100% ratio, so I put this stuff in, lowered the RAM voltage back to 2.63, and it just restarted during the Windows load screen. Raised the voltage to 2.77, and it got into Windows, but restarted when I tried to do a Sandra benchmark. Raised it to 2.9, and it restarted while loading Windows again. So, I thought maybe it was the RAM, reduced it to like 280, and it gave me a Windows ntfs.sys error, which as far as I know, is due to the hard drive, correct? So after playing around with settings for a while, the most I could get without something bad happening was 166FSB, which makes no sense to me, because it was fine at 190 before. So unless this RAM isn't really PC3200, I have no idea what to blame. The stickers on the RAM state '512MB PC3200', so I would assume that it should work at that speed....I'm just confused right now, anyone have any suggestions/input/whatnot?

edit: Never mind, I ran MemTest86 at 190FSB, and it returned over 5000 errors, ran it again at 133, and it only returned 24 errors, but that still means it's bad RAM...hopefully, it's just an incompatability with the board, but I doubt it...

edit #2: Upon further testing, I've realized that the RAM does indeed work on other boards....so it appears there's an incompatability between the RAM and the motherboard. Here are the numbers on the chips, in case anyone else is having the same problem...

SAMSUNG 322
K4H560838E-TCCC

Last edited:
That board is a real witch when it comes to memory...owned 3 of them...

First thing to do is run memtest 86 to make sure both sticks are good...

I agree the 8rda+ has some issues, i could run fine at 220 fsb for months but one day it just got unstable, now im at 200

FatChance said:
I agree the 8rda+ has some issues, i could run fine at 220 fsb for months but one day it just got unstable, now im at 200

Pull your ram out and reseat it. Does not sound like a board problem to me, sounds like something else is going on. Boards generaly do not suddenly stop working. I would look at the power supply also. Have you recently added another drive or a new video card that draws more power?

I gave up on my 8RDA+ rev. 2.1 when the pci bus went wacky and I couldn't run defrag. It all started when I installed my Radeon 9800 Pro and I couldn't get the system to post unless enabled the "reset configuration data" option in BIOS. It worked well for about 2 months like this until the PCI problem. The board worked flawlessly with my old Geforce 3 vid card though. Now I am using my "old" MSI KT4 Ultra until I can afford to replace it.

Back