• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple boot disk for Win2kPro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewBldr

How do I make this?

Is this the 4 disk setup boot disks? I wouldn't think so, so I'm asking. I want a simple boot disk... whatever that is :)

Sorry if I'm clueless, but I've only made boot disks back in win 3.11 and earlier dos os's. These were 1 disk each. Is this smple boot system now gone?

you can use a Win98 bootdisk, but if the filesystem is NTFS it will not be able to read the c drive. For that you will neeed NTFS DOS PRO, about 300$.

The 4-bootdisks will get you into the install/repair console. You won't find a single bootdisk that will do this. You can use an old '98 bootdisk to get you a command prompt, but if your drives are NTFS, you won't be able to read them (and thus, it's fairly useless).

If you are looking to get to a "DOS command prompt" where you can access your harddrives, then you need the 4-bootdisks, then choose repair, then repair console. If you have a system that will boot off of CDs (like almost every system nowadays), just boot off the CD, that does the same thing as the bootdisks.

Thanks suroot.

If I boot from CD, will I be able to flash my BIOS from that boot?

Thanks again!

NewBldr said:
If I boot from CD, will I be able to flash my BIOS from that boot?
No, you won't be able to flash your BIOS using the recovery console. The recovery console is a protected area (doesn't let you interact directly with hardware), like being in windows, so it probably won't work.

If your BIOS flashing program comes as a bootdisk image, then write the image to a floppy, then use that. If not, then you'll want to get a win98 bootdisk, and put the BIOS image on there, and use that.

Back