• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C:\Program?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

What is "C:\Program"?

wth.PNG

More info just locks my computer up until I click NO or X or CTL+ALT+DEL.

Just seems like a suspicious program name. Of course it could be Windows confusing WMP with the name "C:\Program", but I just wanted to make sure. There is of course a C:\Program Files, but no C:\Program. Nor is there any application that I installed that is called that.

Whatcha think? Just silly M$ confusing program names? Or is it something I should be worried about?

Last edited:
Have you checked if it's not a hidden/system file/folder ?
Never had this problem so just guessing..

Well, it does seems to be a suspicious program.

Why would a "normal" prog want to change you internet connection settings and protection ? And Windows, has bad has it may be, wouldn't confuse programs names...

So, I dunno for sure, but it looks like a virus man :(

My advice : update your definitions then run a complete antivirus test... And monitor your connection with your firewall.

P.S Also, when did that sh*t started ?

Do you remember what you had been doing, or where you had been surfing ?

Well only recently did I start using M$ firewall (since there was a topic about firewalls not catching all port scans), so I decided a crappy firewall like M$ICF couldn't hurt. This alert message is (I think) from microsofts firewall program. It's cool that it's asking me if an application wants to change settings, and I would have let any program like WMP do it, but the fact that it's a suspicous sounding non-existant program makes me kinda worried.

I checked for hidden files or folders with that name, and came up with none. So it HAS to be M$ goofing up on applications names, or it's something else working behind the scenes.

My definitions were just updated last night and a virus scan comes back with nothing. I'm going to try adaware and see if it finds anything, even though I am a very cautious person when it comes to spyware/adware...

PS: Sorry mods. Didn't know if this was considered internet or security (since its from ms firewall and could be a virus) or if it's ms os since I can't figure out the name. Sorry I made you move it ;).

I got the same window sometime back, I don't remenber what I did but would like to know what it is just in case I clicked yes.

A question: are u in a network?

What you could do is :

- disable Xp's Firewall.. It's not a good one anyway, as many online test will prove.

- Instead, use a real, and free Firewall, like ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall, my favorite, which is free for personal use and can be d/l here.

both have many more features than XP's Firewall.

If your problem still exists after you've switched Firewall, then you got a virus or sthg like that. If not, then it was only Xp gone crazy.

Back