• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need memory advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idgamerd

After serving good year my Corsair XMS 3200C2 finally crapped out, which is really weird because half the time I didnt even overclock. Anyways I am in need of new memory, I want to get 1GIG. My motherboard does not have dual channel ram, but I do plan to upgrade later on. What would be best bang for the buck.

I dont know if I really want to overclock since this ram crapped out, is there any significal difference between stock and overclock?

Thank you.

You can RMA that stick to Corsair as it came with a lifetime warranty. If you don't want to bother with that (although it's really really easy and Corsair customer support is fantastic), I'd suggest you pick up these sticks. They're made with BH5 chips which will allow you to overclock your system if you so choose. I find it odd though that your Corsair stick up and died.

~THT

i just RMA'ed a stick of the corsair ram in my sig... it only took about a week and i got back a stick in a factory sealed package... i am planning on selling it and getting some new ram myself.... there RMA's are great... and no, i did not need a recipt.

Well I am going to RMA it but it seems like it will take a long time since I have to ask in the forum for help before doing RMA and I see tons of posts asking for help for RMA without any responses.

Anyways, can anyone else recommend some good ram to me :D

Do you think maybe it's worth getting another stick of 512 Corsair XMS 3200C2 (my ram that has gone bad). That way when Corsair RMA it I will have 1GIG. OR is that ram you posted a lot faster then this corsair?

The only XMS3200 sticks that came with BH5 (or BH6) chips were the v1.1 sticks. You will most likely NOT get a 1.1 stick even from Corsair. I wouldn't suggest RMAing your stick and buying an additional stick from another vendor because if they aren't the same revision, they may not operate in DCDDR configuration due to process revisions; better safe than sorry. My advice would be to RMA your dead stick then sell the stick you get back from Corsair. Buy two sticks of what I posted and run them in DCDDR.

~THT

Nope. Those are CH5 as you can see in the timings. 2-3-2 means CH5, 2-2-2 means BH5. And yes, that's why you haven't gotten a response. Expect one tomorrow or at the latest, Tuesday.

~THT

Ahh I still cant decide is it really worth spenging 300$, I mean isnt DDR2 coming out soon? Another thing if I was not to overclock what would be the best ram for stock speeds?

DDR2 implementation will start with the Alderdale (or whatever the 875 replacement is called) chipset but will be just as expensive as when DDR originally entered the market. I wouldn't expect DDR2 to become the standard in the mainstream market for at least another year or two. If you weren't overclocking, I'd suggest you pick up some Crucial sticks.

~THT

Back