• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP SP2 out today!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am not touching it at all after reading about there "security updates"...it even blocks out certain M$ programs it pegs as unsecure programs...

Well its only a preview, and might as well be considered RC2.

Ill wait for the offical.

Yeah, but it's still a public release now, so it'll interesting to see what will happen over the next few weeks as more people sample it.

BTW, {PMS}fishy. Who is that in your avastar? I think I have that picture as one of my old wallpapers.

There was a small write up on SP2 at Hardocp, and it stated that SP2 will be more secure...so secure it will decide on what is a secure program and what isnt...and if it pegs it as a unsecure program...SP2 will not let it run...and this includes a lot of M$ programs itself...so no matter to me...if they dont change that issue I will never run or install it...and if M$ forces XP users to use it...then Linux here I come...

Heat said:
Yeah, but it's still a public release now, so it'll interesting to see what will happen over the next few weeks as more people sample it.

BTW, {PMS}fishy. Who is that in your avastar? I think I have that picture as one of my old wallpapers.

Too many people ask me that, Im going to make you work for it.

www.google.com

Heat said:

Looks like Shannon Elizabeth to me.

SP2 will let MS take over your computer!!!! oh, wait...nevermind. Sp1 eula agreement already lets MS be admin and push software/delete/update as it sees fit. Something to do with windows media player being the MS backdoor to your system. I havnt heard of MS pushing/deleting software...yet but just imagine MS seeing everything you have on your harddrive :eek: SP2 hopefully doesnt say "hey, its not MS certified=wont run". Just imagine MS doing that...impossible? hardly. "Its all for security's sake" :rolleyes:

exactlley...and M$ thinks they are more secure then the end users...which is why M$ had security updates all the time...

As for the media player and the few other programs that "watch" your system...these things can be taken care of...

One more thing I was finding out...SP2 wont let you shut down any service it sees thats unsafe...but they did disable the built in messenger...like it was so hard to go to admin tools and service to shut it down...

So what this is breaking down to...M$ is seeing the end users as being so stupid that they cant run there own OS so M$ now thinks it can run your OS better :rolleyes:

Oh yea...it also wont let you disable the new built in firewall either...

Since you are the guinee pig...let us know if what I have been reading is true...especially about the programs and firewall...

10 - 4 , its installing now be back later. So far its up a working and working good. firewall is up and going

Only bad thing so far is on style XP i can change my theme or visual style , but everything else on it works

Last edited:
cool sounds good, what else? does it work well? inform us!

EDIT: i'm d/ling this now, I will give it a try!

Last edited:
What do you like/dislike about service pack 2? What do you see is potential advantages/disadvantages to anybody wanting to try it out?

i like the new better firewall , gives you more options , and the security center . other than that i dont see much dif in it

i got to go now , my uncle passed away this weekend so i will try to get back with you's with more on SP2 asap Take Care All

Back