• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

de-Activation/Re-activation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andyman902042

I'm about to switch my Motherboard, Case, and Power Supply.
(here's my other thread about this)

I'm going to do a format and reinstallation of Windows XP. I will have to call and deactivate Windows from my old computer (parts) first, I believe.

The only thing is I've lost my COA. I ran Belarc advisor and recovered the CD key. When I call, will I need any other codes on the COA or do I just need the CD Key that looks like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx?

So my questions are:
1. Do I just call the number that is in the activation wizard for manually activating or do I call a different number?
2. Do I only need the CD key or do I need any of the other codes on the COA?
3. Is it correct that the CD key is the code that looks like 5 groups of 5 letters and numbers (like this: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)?
4. Do I have to call before I reformat so I can get some other code or can I reformat and then de-activate.

I bet a lot of people around here have had to do this before so thanks for clearing this up.

why would you have to call them for? i used my cd key on my old computer and when i made a completly different computer, i just installed it on that computer and activated it just by connecting to internet

Well, I was thinking it wouldn't activate on my new one because it was already activated to my old one. Microsoft might be thinking I installed it on 2 comps.

well, i upgraded my computer many times and formatted with the same cdkey many times and i never ran into any trouble.

I bought Windows XP Pro, installed it, activated it. I formatted like three weeks later and reinstalled. When i went to activate it, it said already activated, please call 555-5555. It gave the number to call (the manual activation #). I just had to tell the person on the phone that i reformatted and was just reinstalling. Yeah, i needed that CD key, but that was it.

Yes, reformat beforehand, and get to that activation screen, then call. They give you a new code to put in.

A little side note, I've reformatted a few times and the original CD key works fine for activation all the time now. My guess is whatever code they give you on the phone just opens that disc so you don't have to call all the time.

Hope i helped

Dont quote me on this but i think you get to activate it 5 times before it asks for you to call m/s. thats what happend to me first 5 times was ok then the 6th time i had to make the call.

Ok, thanks:) :D If I have to call MS, it's no big deal. I just wanted to make sure they didn't need any other specaial codes form the COA.

The activation is tied to a certain no of activations in set time periods before you have to call. I don't recall the ratio of activations to time.

the os records five parts of your rig so if u change one of the five you have re-activ your os.i have done it about 30 times they just ask if your os is on one computer.

Every time I switch mobos it requires me to call them. Kind of annoying.

The only key you need is the xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx. When you speak to the Windows rep, they'll direct you to a screen that has another install key.

Back