• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non SP1 Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i run Windows xp without sp1 because 1. i dont really care about what has access to what i know how to do all that stuff manually....2. it slows down your computer believe it or not...i have a 700MHz comp with 192MB of RAM..i installed windows xp with SP1 and it was slow as heck..but i reformated and re installed windows XP without SP1 and it ran fast like it was supposed..i dont kno what about it slows it down but it does...

Sophisticated said:
i run Windows xp without sp1 because 1. i dont really care about what has access to what i know how to do all that stuff manually....2. it slows down your computer believe it or not...i have a 700MHz comp with 192MB of RAM..i installed windows xp with SP1 and it was slow as heck..but i reformated and re installed windows XP without SP1 and it ran fast like it was supposed..i dont kno what about it slows it down but it does...

I couldn't tell a difference...and my benchmarks didnt decrease very much at all...but I am not using a system under 1.5Ghz...so this might be the major reason why...

well as you see there is something that SP-1 does to slow your comp down wether its a tiny bit or alot....for some it mayb be a little bit ..for the other mayb be alot...35 marks could mean the difference on getting 20000 marks without SP-1 and 19965 with SP-1..i kno its not alot but if it did matter if you got 20k or 19k which would u go for???

25 - 35 marks is honestly nothing in 01...thats about the cost of a few clicks of the mouse while running 01 to be honest...

but in the same since...there are a few things...drivers...that need SP1 to install...like if using USB 2.0...or firewire...at least on my NF2 MB it takes the Sp1 pack to install those drivers...

Thanks for the replies. I just installed SP1 and didn't notice much of a slowdown. I am making frequent backups and setting lots of restore points because I know that as I keep installing drivers, eventually I'll hit one that'll really slow down my system ie. take forever to shutdown/boot.

but some one like say Macci who is a benchmark freak would take that 35 marks...thats what im sayin...its not like it matter to me either but im saying...if SP-1 goves less performance then off with it i dont see the reason for SP-1 anywayz

Macci and OPP both run XP with SP1 and they both use W2k with SP3...not SP4...;)...

But yes I totally do understand what you are saying...

i bet you if they see this thread they would remove SP-1 to get those extra points...macci has 30951 on 3dmark01 imagin what 35 mark can do for him he can break that 31k barrier just about...mayb even break it without SP-1

Sophisticated said:
i bet you if they see this thread they would remove SP-1 to get those extra points...macci has 30951 on 3dmark01 imagin what 35 mark can do for him he can break that 31k barrier just about...mayb even break it without SP-1

Im sorry but that is the stupidest thing i have read in a long time. You think some random thread would make them remove sp1? Dont you think they have tried with both sp1 installed and not installed? If these guys can get the scores they can then I dont think they havnt thought of every single thing they can do to improve performance. :rolleyes:

They are in the same postition as me and the rest of the NF2 users...some of the NF2 drivers has to have SP1...

And as fast as there rigs are running...SP1 probably has no effect on there scores...

corrosion231 said:

Im sorry but that is the stupidest thing i have read in a long time. You think some random thread would make them remove sp1? Dont you think they have tried with both sp1 installed and not installed? If these guys can get the scores they can then I dont think they havnt thought of every single thing they can do to improve performance. :rolleyes:

as for you...you really dont kno what they have tried and havent tried..assuming is the worst thing...and Glock if they r using that kind of board that requires SP-1 with the drivers i can understand that

I just PMed Macci himself at another forum...I will post his reply about the SP1 question...

Heres what I wrote to him:

When you benchmark using windows XP..do you install SP1?

The reason why I am asking is...there seems to be a debate about SP1 and slowing a system down in 01 or 03...since you are the top dog right now ...I figured I would ask you to get your input...

Thanks,
Lance

BTW - Macci is online so hopefully I will get a response before I log off...

Ok, well I was wrong about Macci having SP1 on his benching HDD...thought I seen somewhere at XS that he stated he had to install SP1 on his AMD64 machine...

Here is his reply:

macci wrote on 03-21-2004 04:52 AM:
Hi

I dont have SP1 installed on my benching HDD. Never even tried it :) SEems to work nicely without it too..

This changes my outlook on a few things now...
thinking.gif

well i dont wanna brag now but i guess my input wus right and thoughtful all along...i told you to someone who cares about 35marks will take it becasue it changes alot

Well he doesnt know if it hurts or helps since he hasnt ever installed it ;)...so really its still kind of in the air...

I sure wouldnt ask him to install SP1 on his benching HDD just to see if it would have that much of a effect...but I did write back to him asking what he thinks is the best OS to bench with and if W2K...which SP, if any, he uses now...

I do know for a fact he did use SP3 when he was benching W2K because him and OPP had a thread about using SP3 when it first came out...but that could of changed also...

While I got him answering...might as well ask the good questions ;)...

Back